Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My Thuan Restaurant, Cabramatta

My Thuan Restaurant

How was it?
Food: 8.5/10
Service: 7/10
Ambience: 6/10
Value: $

Novelty 'Heineken' toothpick holder amongst other condiments

Menu

Lunch in Cabramatta is always a bit tricky. Especially on the weekend. If you can manage to find a parking spot and weave your way through the crowds, there are many gems to be found.

I recently dined at My Thuan with my family. I've been there a number of times, and I always get the same thing - I can't help it! It has got to be my favourite Vietnamese dish, or actually one of my favourite dishes period. That would be 'Bun Thit Nuong' (see below). It contains rice vermicelli with grilled beef slices, some veges (lettuce, cucumber, carrot, beansprout) and crushed peanuts. Pour some 'nuoc mam' (fish sauce) on top and it's pretty much perfection and it's hard to go wrong with this dish.

Chilli sauce

'nuoc mam' (fish sauce)

Banh Hoi Thit Nuong $10.00

Steamed rice vermicelli, some veges and grilled pork served on a platter with a stack of rice paper. Firstly you dip the rice paper in some hot water so that it becomes soft and sticky. Next, place your rice vermicelli, meat and veges onto the rice paper and then roll it up, dip it in some sauce and enjoy. I like this dish, however I often can't be bothered with getting my hands dirty :)

Bun Thit Nuong $8.00

My favourite dish! I always look for this on the menu at Vietnamese restaurants. I will either get the grilled pork (thit nuong) or the grilled pork balls (nam nuong). It's pretty much the same as the dish before (banh hoi thit nuong), except this is the lazy person's option. And I like mixing everything together and eating in the bowl.

The Pros:
- Cheap
- The food
- Lots of locals dine here (always a good sign)
- Fast service

The Cons:
- Can get a bit rowdy with the hordes of people inside

Overall:
Great simple Vietnamese food. It's cheap and it's fast - the essence of Cabramatta.


Red Bean Ice Cream Sandwich

I saw this in one of the Asian grocery stores nearby. I was so tempted to buy it. Oh, how I love red bean. And ice cream. But I resisted the temptation as I was rather stuffed. Next time...

My Thuan Restaurant
117a Cnr John St & Hill St,
Cabramatta NSW 2166

8 comments:

  1. yum - i love how fresh and flavoursome vietnamese food is. haven't been out to cabramatta, but i'm constantly being told that i must must must go!

    (ps: the fish icecream sandwiches are v. tasty - i'm a bit of a red bean fiend myself)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bun too! Even more than Pho :) Nice ending to the meal too, I adore red bean flavoured food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to eat there but my mates are viet and they're like "nah man never eat there". hmm dunno why shall venture out there one day.

    I always go to Bau Truong for viet food hoping that will be my next review when im due for another hair trim ^_^ love cabramatta.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shez: OMG. I can't believe you haven't been to cabra! you must go ASAP! I go solely for the food :)

    Hi Lorraine: Yep there's just something so good about 'bun'! That is one dish I could never get sick of!

    Hi Smileona: haha. I never used to go to My Thuan, I went once when it had just opened and it wasn't the best. But I'm happy to report that they have improved greatly.

    Oh yes, Bau Truong is a favourite of my friends and I :) haha. love cabra!

    ReplyDelete
  5. those fish icecreams are so cool! They have them in that korean smiley mart on george st cbd for a dollar something
    there isn't an awful lot of red bean inside though haha I guess they are so cheap >x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Grace: I've never tried one, I was quite tempted to buy it the other day, but I was way too full. I will definitely try it soon though :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha maybe u can post about it x)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Grace: haha. Dont worry. When I've tried it, I'll post for sure ;)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails