Sunday, May 31, 2009

Raman Kan, Haymarket

How was it?
Food: 8/10
Service: 7.5/10
Ambience: 7.5/10
Value: $


There's nothing better than a hot bowl of ramen on a cold winters night, no? I had been in the 'ramen mood' for quite some time, so El and I put on our jackets and scarves and headed towards Ramen Kan. The restaurant itself is quite large and cleverly decorated with straw and ropes. Getting into Ramen Kan however is a little bit tricky. I always (always) go to the wrong entrance, they have a sign saying Ramen Kan on the street level, but it's actually the loading dock entrance, so you have to walk a couple doors down (towards Oportos), walk inside a little doorway and wait for the dodgy lift to arrive. Don't stand too close to the lift as there are holes in the ceiling and water may decide to drip on you!

When we entered the restaurant we waited a couple of minutes and were then seated. We perused their extensive menu, almost got sidetracked by some don, but found our way back to the ramen and ordered a bowl each. The portions were huge and they were so warm, tasty and satisfying.

I love their big spoons/ladles!

Calpis Mango and Green Tea Milk Drinks $4.50 each

Edamame $4.90


Hot Spicy Ramen $10.90


Miso Ramen (Soy Bean Paste Base) $10.50


Overall:
I've always had great dining experiences at Ramen Kan. The food comes out very fast (which is great) and the staff are very friendly. Ramen Kan provides a quiet refuge and some great Japanese fare in Chinatown.

Ramen Kan
Level 1, 90 Hay St,
Haymarket NSW 2000
Ramen-Kan on Urbanspoon

9 comments:

  1. sounds like you've been lucky with some fast service. i've waited about 10-15 minutes in the past for my bowl of yummy ramen but it was worth waiting for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh Ramen-Kan.. haven't been in ages as I think they are pretty average compared to other places, but I do like their teriyaki onigiri :) Hmm should go back for some mmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the ramen at ramen kan too! Oh yes now is the time to welcome ramen back into my life (I just can't eat it when the weather is hot) :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Simon: Maybe we have different definitions of 'fast service' as 10 minutes to me is pretty fast ;)!

    Hi FFichiban: Oh, never tried the teriyaki onigiri, will give it a try next time. What other places are better?

    Hi Lorraine: Yes, it's definitely the time to welcome ramen back with the freezing weather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh those edamane beans look fat and juicy x]

    i remember when i first went to ramen kan, it got really busy they tried to kick us out ! haha they gave us the bill & kept staring at us reaaaally obviously, while i was sitting there trying to enjoy my dessert :( LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha i remember always pressing the wrong level on their dodgy lift! I think their salmon/kaisen don was pretty good but I do agree with FFichiban that there are some better places now. My current fav is TonTon @ Regent =]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Eden: Omg, I hate when that happens at restaurants. I always linger just to spite them. lol.

    Hi K: Yes, I always press the wrong button! I better continue 'researching' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I feel like having a big bowl of ramen :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Y: hehe. It's such great winter food. I had a bowl last night as well :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails