Monday, June 22, 2009

Red Spoon Thai Restaurant

How was it?
Food: 7.5/10
Service: 7/10
Ambience: 6.5/10
Value: $$

Pretty tea lights!

It's always nice when you walk into a restaurant with no expectations at all, just looking to fill your stomach, just cause there aren't many options... just cause, and then you are pleasantly surprised when the restaurant delivers. Really delivers. This was the case a few weekends ago when DCM and I stepped into Red Spoon Thai Restaurant. It's a local eatery in Gladesville and it was 80% full when we walked in - a good sign. Like most trendy Thai restaurants these days, Red Spoon was decked out in dark wooden tables and panels along the wall, weaved basket seats, dark moody lighting, and of course red lamps, red cushions, red candle holders, red chopsticks, red napkins... - you get the drift!


We ordered satay chicken (because that is the one thing that we always agree on ;), soft shell crab with papaya salad and pad see iw noodles.


Petite Satay Chicken Skewers $9.90 (8 pieces)

I was surprised at how small the satay chicken skewers were, even though they did write 'petite' on the menu. I'm just used to having big chunky pieces of chicken on my satay chicken skewers. But, I slowly picked one up and went for it. It was surprisingly moist, and the satay sauce had just the right amount of peanuty flavour.


Crispy Soft Shell Crab with Papaya Salad $9.90
(oops forgot to get pics of the other side with the papaya salad ;)

The crispy soft shell crab was quite possibly one of the best soft shell crabs I've tasted. A crispy outer, yet a soft and meaty inner. It was cooked so perfectly, and the papaya salad was just the right chilli hit to compliment the soft shell crab.

Pad See Iw Noodles $11.90

These stir fried, thick flat rice noodles are one of my fave Thai dishes. Even though I like pad thai (the 'famous' Thai noodles with thin flat rice noodles - if you don't know what it is, google it!) every now and then, I will always go back to Pad See Iw. I love the sauciness and the fat noodles :)


Overall:
A great local Thai restaurant. I'd highly recommend the crispy soft shell crab with papaya salad. Simple Thai fare with a few pleasant surprises.

Red Spoon Thai Restaurant
198 Victoria Rd,
Gladesville NSW 2111
Tel: (02) 9817 7188
www.redspoonthai.com.au
Red Spoon Thai on Urbanspoon

9 comments:

  1. i always say i will try something different when i go out to eat thai. but i ALWAYS end up ordering pad thai -_-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep it's always a good sign when the place is packed :) Ooh I like my satay small, I always think of those massive chunky satays as a very westernised thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The noodles here are great value. Last time we had an entree and a noodle dish and there were so much noodles that we had to take away the leftovers. Those shoft shell crabs look so tasty, will have to give them a try next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha omg pad si ew gahhhh it's my second most favourite dish afer pad thai. Oh and i wonder why everything was red except for the ACTUAL spoons? ah dont worry about me... i notice the tiniest details. heeee! food looks great tho!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've tried soft shell crab here too and remember it was very nice. have you tried the one at Longrain — one of my favs. here's the other things i've tried at Red Spoon http://simonfoodfavourites.blogspot.com/2009/01/red-spoon-thai-restaurant-11-jan-2009.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Betty: Lol. When I saw that comment from you, I thought that it was ME for a second... was a bit confused! Ahh.. yes, it's so easy to order the same dishes because you know that they'll be good!

    Hi Steph: Oh really? I've very rarely had small ones, I must be westernised in my Satay chicken ways! Still like them big though - ermm.. satay chicken that is ;)

    Hi Mr. Taste: Oh, I think we managed to finish off our noodles! hehe. But it's great to have leftovers for lunch the next day! Yes, definitely give the soft shell crab a try - so good!

    Hi Trisha: Haha. Maybe they tried to get red spoons and failed!?

    Hi Simon: I haven't been to Longrain, but have heard a lot of about it, so it's definitely on my list! Thanks for your link, I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great when that happens (and awful when the opposite way around). Unfortunately for me I'm always hopeful and always read up as much as I can so I am rarely surprised and sometimes disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh i had thai tonight !
    i agree with trisha too, pad si ew is probably my second fave after pad thai haha
    it seems like such a waste always getting pad thai whenever i go get thai, but noooothing tastes as good !!
    though the soft shell crab & papaya salad look mightyy tasty ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lorraine: There are definitely pros/cons to the planned vs. unplanned dining experiences. Luckily I had a good experience here!

    Hi Eden: Cool. I am a fan of Pad Thai, especially when in Thailand! But, I love the fat noodles in Pad See Iw (isn't it funny how every Thai restaurant spells it differently?!) Ya, the soft shell crab & papaya salad was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails