Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Cafe Two Ants, Elizabeth Bay

How was it?
Food: 6.5/10
Service: 7/10
Ambience: 6.5/10
Value: $

And so begins the birthday feasting weekend! This year, unlike most years, I decided against organising a big birthday do. Even though birthday parties can be loads of fun, I find them pretty stressful, and couldn't really be bothered this year! But there's an upside... I was asked:
'So, what are you doing for your birthday?'
'Erm. Nothing'
'OK.... So, what are WE doing for your birthday?'

Ahh yes. As a result of not organising a big birthday do, I happened to get lots of little birthday meals - perfect! So it all began on the Saturday morning with my dear friend Carrie. Originally we had planned to go to lunch in Balmain at what looked to be a fantastic restaurant, but due to unforeseen circumstances, plans changed. Instead, we moved our date to breakfast and to a closer location. We decided to drive around and look for a parking spot and then decide on where to eat. We parked close to Elizabeth Bay Rd, and after walking down a little bit, we found this little hole-in-the-wall, beautiful Victorian looking cafe - Cafe Two Ants.

Cappuccino and Latte

It was quite busy when we walked in, all the tables were full but luckily some people were leaving as we walked in! We ordered some coffees, which were nothing fantastic, but I'm not a huge coffee gal, so can't really judge. The menu consists of all-day breakfast items (I love having breakfast as an all-day option, more places should adopt it!), sandwiches, salads and typical cafe style fare.

Open Vegetable Sandwich $11.90
(Wilted spinach, mushrooms, roasted tomato and poached egg)

Poached Organic Eggs on Sourdough Bread $8.30
Extra Mushrooms $2.50

I found my meal of the poached eggs on sourdough to be quite bland. Carrie felt the same way about her meal. I can't help but think how much better it would've been with a little bit of seasoning? Perhaps they were having an 'off' day, who knows. But luckily, the meal was saved by the most amazing banana bread. Ever.


Banana Bread $4.50

It was toasted so perfectly with just the right amount of crispness and moistness. It didn't feel overly oily or heavy, like at some places. It was absolutely to-die-for! Definitely the best banana bread I've tasted and something that I'd definitely go back for.


Overall:
This little cafe seems to be popular with the locals, considering how full it was (someone was even waiting beside our table for us to leave!). I noticed a lot of people enjoying a lazy morning reading the paper, catching up with loved ones or people watching. Although our main meals weren't so great, the banana bread really saved the day. Oh, and having great company doesn't hurt either ;)

Cafe Two Ants
70 Elizabeth Bay Rd,
Elizabeth Bay NSW2011
Tel: (02)9326 9015
Cafe Two Ants on Urbanspoon

p.s. check out the cool pressie I got from Carrie. Love it! Thank you dearest xx

13 comments:

  1. Oh man that banana bread does look good! Totally craving it now. It's always best when they toast it on one of those flat toasters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THE VEGIE BREAKKIE LOOKS QUITE BLAND AS YOU SAID AS WELL.

    I LOVE FLAVOURS IN MY FOOD SOMETIMES END UP POURING A BUNCH OF SALT & PEPPER OVER THE TOP!

    i love banana bread (sorry for the caps lols)

    i made this once

    made bircher muesli (ask me for recipe if u like bircher!)

    topped with roughly chopped strawberries, bananas & peaches, topped with crumbled soft banana bread - so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Betty! Can't wait to see what else you got up to. Did you get some cool presents? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy birthday !!
    breakfast is my FAVOURITE meal of the day :) hahah
    yummm, and the ducks on the menu look so cute !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Steph: Hehe. Sorry to bring on the banana bread cravings! It was toasted so perfectly!

    Hi Betty: That sounds amazing! Will try it out one day :)

    Hi Simon: It was so yummo!

    Hi Lorraine: Thanks :) I scored some pretty cool presents - i especially loved the food focused one, pictured above!

    Hi Eden: Thanks :) Me too! Yeah, but I thought they were a bit random and out of place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oohh when's youre bday? or has it finished already? i can't remember. mine's in 2 weeks weeeeeee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmm the banana bread makes me very nostalgic...

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAPPY (BELATED?) BIRTHDAY! and YAY for eating more than one birthday meal! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! Wow, those eggs are perfectly poached - I would have liked to see an 'action' shot of the yolk dribbling out :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oops happy belated birthday dude!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAPPY BIRTHDAY WOMAN!!!
    YOU DIDNT TELL US it was ur BIRTHDAY!!!!
    I can imagine the massive feast you woulda had! I love having vege breakfasts! I always think it doesnt make me feel as gluggy as sometimes a big breaky can bring.

    I hope you had an awesome bday! and I'm loving the new layout!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Trish: My birthday was last Monday (15th!) Ooh, exciting. What have you got planned?!

    Hi Bea: Yes, I must admit, I have been thinking about it. A lot.

    Hi K: Thanks :) Hehe. Yeah, it was pretty awesome!

    Hi Christie: Thanks! They looked good, but were disappointing as they were quite bland. I think I was too hungry to bother with the action shots! Next time!

    Hi Chocolatesuze: Thanks :)

    Hi Leona: Thanks! It was last Monday! hehe. True true. It get you off to a good start, feeling good and all. Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails