Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Bangkok Restaurant/ Passionflower, Haymarket

How was it?
Food: 3/10
Service: 6/10
Ambience: 6/10
Value: $$



On a cold and wet Sunday night, three amigos decided to check out the Winter Festival. It was drizzling at first, and then it started to pour. Not the best weather to be checking out an outdoor festival. We didn't stay long, but long enough to grab some gozleme (but they ran out of lemons, so that was a bit of a disappointment). After grabbing our fair share of free mugs, we decided to head to Chinatown for some refuge and a nice meal.

Sai Krok E-Sarn $8.90
Thai traditional sausage served with fresh vegetables, chilli and ginger

Originally, the plan was to go to Chat Thai. But after looking at the long line waiting to get a table, we settled for Bangkok Restaurant in Capitol Square. In hindsight, we should have just waited for a table at Chat Thai, because this was a pretty bad Thai food experience.

Firstly, the Thai sausages (pictured above) were so dry and bland. Next dish was the Tom Yum soup, it was a little bit too spicy, but again just bland. I wouldn't mind if it was really spicy and tasted amazing, but sadly it was not anywhere near amazing.

Tom Yum Goong $16.90
with prawns and mushrooms

Som Tum Moo Grob $15.90
Spicy papaya salad served with crispy pork belly

The papaya salad was not bad, but definitely nothing to rave about. The crispy pork belly served with the papaya salad was so dry and hard. It was mostly left untouched.

Nam Tok $12.90
Grilled beef salad with Thai style spicy and sour sauce

Not sure if you can tell from the image above, but our beef salad contained all the fatty cuts of the beef, which was a huge turnoff, and again left mostly untouched.


Overall:
Bangkok Restaurant is in such a great location, perfect for a late night meal, but it's such a shame about the quality of their food. It's probably the worst Thai experience I've had and next time, I'll just wait it out for Chat Thai.

Luckily.. the end of the night was slightly saved by... Passionflower (right next door)!

Cool Projector Screen

"Double Happiness"
Green Tea Ice Cream, Red Bean Ice Cream, Red Beans & Glutinous Balls

I love this dessert. A combination of all of my favourite things - green tea ice cream and red bean - you can never go wrong with this. I don't remember the price, I think it was around $15. Passionflower is always a great go-to dessert place when you're out and about, even if it is a tad on the pricey side.



P.s. Passionflower has a great promotion on - you can get a complimentary dessert on your birthday! Simply take in some i.d. and a free dessert is yours! Pity my birthday was just the week before this (ahh.. only 359 days to go!)

Bangkok Restaurant
Shop G11 Capitol Square (enter via Campbell St)
730-742 George St,
Sydney NSW 2000
Tel: (02) 9211 5232
@ Bangkok on Urbanspoon
Passionflower
Shop G12 Capitol Square,
730-742 George St,
Sydney NSW 2000
Tel: (02) 9281 8322
www.passionflower.com.au

13 comments:

  1. OOH I'm totally going to Passionflower whenever my birthday rolls around! That Bangkok place sounds quite disappointing, unfortunately there are quite a few pretty average Thai places around :( I hate when they give you the cheap fatty cuts of meat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a pity about the thai. i guess that's why Chat Thai is the busy one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. Already counting down to the quarter of the century mark! ;) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive eaten at that thai joint before and I agree it is the crappest THAI EVER! all of their food is dry.. especially their satay sticks. It was soo dry the chicken was stuck to the stick =|

    I remember when i went there years ago I thought "oh it must be alright" there's a few ppl in there.. O_o big big mistake.

    Passionflowerrr im so gonna go there on my bday for a free desert LOLLLL since we unleashed our asian freebie personalities @ GFW im sure its easy for us to do it again "so asian we are" hahaha

    I love those glutness balls! I can never say no to the cookie-me-up and the black sesame. mmmm Blackk sesameeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no - I've just missed the freeby dessert too :(
    Too bad about the dinner though - it's such a shame when hard earned money and a should-be-good eating opportunity go to waste...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Steph: Hehe. Yeah, you should totally go! It was so dodgy, but it still manages to fill up, so perhaps others enjoy it?!

    Hi Simon: Yeah, I think so. I know where I'm going next time I'm in that area!

    Hi Kaelyn: We can go on your birthday! Only 2 weeks away!

    Hi Leona: Lol! Seriously, I was so disappointed with the food, and I'm not actually that hard to impress, so this place mustn't have been very good :( Lol!! Oh damn, showing our true colours at the GFWS! But anyway, you must totally get the freebie! Ooh I like black sesame, but I'm a green tea gal ;)

    Hi Tina: Oh no! When was your bday? Happy belated birthday for whenever it was :) It was such a waste!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi just stumbled on your blog and all that food looks really good. Pity about dinner though, I love chat thai

    ReplyDelete
  8. o yes we can! u know i'm a sucker for freebies! :p heeee wahahah let's go friday nite at 12am ;) r they open then? ahahah

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG did this birthday dessert thing come in recently? how come I've never seen it!! OMG WHY IS IT NOT MY BIRTHDAY SOON??? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh cool! Thanks for letting us know about Passionflower! It's hubby's birthday soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pity to hear about the bad thai experience :( but at least passionflower made up for it yes? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pity about the Thai experience.. :( I haven't heard of passionflower before, but that dessert looks very interesting... I've never tried any of those components, so would find it difficult imagining how they would compliment each other...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Cashmere Cheesecake: Thank you :) Yeah, I think next time I'll just stick to Chat Thai!

    Hi Kaelyn: That's a big eager, no? haha. Let's do it.

    Hi K: I just saw it recently! Hehe. At least now you'll now for whenever your birthday does roll around!

    Hi Lorraine: No worries! Gotta love the freebies :)

    Hi FFichiban: OH yeah, it was the worst Thai I've had :( Yes, passionflower cured my somewhat disappointment.

    Hi Anita: Oh, I especially love this dessert. They're just so good together. You should go and try it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails