Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Din Tai Fung Restaurant - World Square, Sydney

How was it?
Food: 7/10
Service: 7/10
Ambience: 6.5/10
Value: $$


A few weeks ago, I finally had the chance to try Din Tai Fung at World Square in the City. The restaurant originates from Taiwan and they are famous for their Xiao Long Bao (soup filled pork dumplings). There are many locations across the globe; world leaders and celebrities have dined in them, and now the hungry girl has too :D

I was a little bit skeptical about Din Tai Fung as I had heard mixed reviews of the restaurant. But with the enliven card in our pockets, DCM and I joined the queue for some dumpling lovin'. With the enliven promotion, you can get 1 dumpling meal for free, when you order another dumpling meal. The promotion ends this Friday (so get in quick!).

Various condiments

When we arrived we had to wait for about 15 minutes before we were seated in a big banquet table with three other parties. We were handed a menu whilst we were waiting outside, and we marked on the piece of paper what we wanted before handing it to the waitress and being seated. I felt a bit awkward about taking photos whilst sharing the big round table with other people, but apart from a few funny looks, it was not a problem.

Lychee Mint Juice $6.00

My lychee mint juice was very strong on the mint side. It was frighteningly green and I would've loved more than one piece of lychee inside, but it was cool and refreshing.

Spinach with Garlic $10.80

The spinach was stir fried nicely, but it's something that you could do at home and I probably wouldn't go out of my way to order it.

"Guide to enjoy the Xiao Long Bao"

Just in case you weren't sure how to eat your dumplings, there is a guide to help you!

Ginger (to be eaten with your dumplings)

Xiao Long Bao (Pork Dumpling) $8.80 (6 pieces)

We actually ordered the larger portion with 8 pieces, but I can't remember the price! I found that the meat and soup filling of these were not as flavoursome as the ones at Shanghai Night, but I liked the delicate and soft skin.

Prawn & Pork Wonton Soup (6 pieces) $8.80

I've always been a fan of wonton soup, and even more so in the colder months. These wontons were smooth and silky and very enjoyable.

Pork and Prawn Parcel (Shao Mai) $8.80 (6 pieces)

The pork and prawn parcel was like a jazzed up version of the Xiao Long Bao. It's basically the same, just with the addition of the prawn on top. It was hard to eat the whole thing without soup or pork spillage, but it was still tasty and pretty!

Mango Pudding $5.80

Condensed Milk to pour over the Mango Pudding

Action shot!

Golden Taro Bread $5.80 (2 Rolls)

For dessert, we ordered the mango pudding and the golden taro bread. The mango pudding was so cute, with the cream on top and everything. We were given a little shot of condensed milk to pour over it. It was nice and very sweet, but I was very much looking forward to the golden taro bread! It is lighty fried bread with taro paste inside. It was crispy, sweet and not too oily and 1 roll each was the perfect amount to satisfy my curiousity.



Overall:
The service was great and they have a great system to deal with orders. It may be a little bit pricier than your average dumpling joint, but the location is great, so is the food and service. So I think it's definitely a great alternative if you can't get to Ashfield.

Din Tai Fung
Level 1, Shop 11.04,
World Square Shopping Centre (644 George St)
Sydney NSW 2000
Tel: (02) 9264 6010
www.dintaifung.com.au
Din Tai Fung on Urbanspoon

13 comments:

  1. Yay, this was your first time trying it? I love the taro toast!! Mango pudding with condensed milk? Mmm...
    I agree though, their xiao long bao are on the bland side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i find the Din Tai Fung dumplings just don't have the taste sensation i'm looking for, especially for the price you pay. but using the vivid discount makes it better value.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only been to Ding Tai Fung once. Their dumplings are on the bland side. I need more 'KICK' in taste!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hee hee TW re-pre-sent ^^! but yeah the one here is incomparable with the proper ones overseas :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems like ages since I last visited. In fact it probably has been as it was two weeks after it opened. Thanks for letting us know about the Enliven promotion. I completely missed DTF being a part of it! And YAY for plump looking XLBs! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got to agree with everyone on their dumplings, but yay for other dishes, desserts and the convenient location!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness is that the queue outside? That's a very long line!
    Mmmm mango pudding.......

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmyum. Love the red bean rolls (like taro but with red bean inside). Another favourite of mine is the won tons in spicy chilli oil. So so good. Pity about the queues and the prices though...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Steph: Yep, it was my first time! Haha. Finally! Yep, the taro bread was good, but yeah I found the XLB a little on the bland side, but not bad.

    Hi Simon: Yeah, you're right but for the location and the service, it's not too bad. It's only because you've experienced better ones, if you hadn't tried any dumplings before, and just went to DTF, you'd think it was amazing!

    Hi Ellie: Me too. I love the ones at Shanghai Night, they're packed full of flavour.

    Hi FFichiban: Ooh, I actually have a photo standing outside the DTF in Shanghai! But I never got to try it! One day ;)

    Hi Lorraine: No worries, there's so many offers on, it's hard to keep up! They do look nice and plump don't they?!

    Hi Yas: Yeah, it wasn't too bad! But I'll probably stick to Shanghai Night, but it's always good to 'research' hehe. And the location is awesome!

    Hi Trisha: Yeah, that's the queue! But they actually have quite a good system, you get a number and a menu, piece of paper and pen, so you order before you are seated and you don't have to wait v. long for your food!

    Hi Shez: Ooh I love red bean! I'll have to give them a try next time.. and the wontons too! Yeah, but it's kind of expected for the city, and not too bad if you have company!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like DTF! I love it cos soemtimes i feel like eating something plain. I still havent tried Shanghai Night. Shanghai Night must be the bomb so far everyone has said that place rocks.

    I love the shao mai when you eat it... the flavours of the pork mince bursts in your mouth pretty much an explosion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Leona: Yep, I like it too! But the xiao long bao definitely don't compare to Shanghai Night. We should organise an excursion there! Haha. Go the explosion!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would of said this place is a bit pricey,or maybe im just cheap? haha i think im the rare few that believe this place is overrated!!

    Sydneyguyrojoe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sydneyguyrojoe: It's pricey compared to some other Chinese restaurants, especially in Chinatown or Ashfield, but you're sitting in a really nice place, you feel comfortable and the service is friendly. I didn't think the food was amazing, but there are extra benefits that you don't get at other Chinese restaurants. So it's all relative. But, I know that a lot of people think the same as you. Even though it was good, I'd definitely still go to Ashfield for my dumpling fix.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails