Thursday, July 16, 2009

Il Greco Greek Restaurant, Gladesville

How was it?
Food: 5.5/10
Service: 7/10
Ambience: 7/10
Value: $$$


Another Greek feast!
My massive feast at Perama really set the benchmark for me in Greek cuisine. It would definitely be tough to compare anything to that amazing feast! But less than two weeks after, DCM and I found ourselves at Il Greco Greek Restaurant.

I had driven past Il Greco many times and had spotted their banner advertising a $33 six-course meal. The price instantly appealed to me and even the normally unadventurous DCM was excited about the prospect of a six course meal for $33! We had also heard positive things from a few people, so we thought we'd give it a go.

1. Trio of Dips with Pita Bread
(Taramasalata, Melitzanosalata, Tzatziki)

Pita Bread

The dips were wonderful and flavoursome. I loved the smokiness of the melitzanosalata (eggplant) and the taramosalata (fish roe) was also a favourite. The tzatziki was lite and tangy. The only downside to this first course was the pita bread, it was so oily and limp. I noticed the oiliness straight away and the meal was not off to a good start.

2. Keftedes, 3. Dolmades, 4. Grilled Haloumi

Keftedes

The keftedes (Greek meat balls) looked good, but upon biting into one, I found that it was warm on the outside and cold on the inside. Other ones were completely warm or completely cold, which made me think that it might have been microwaved.

Dolmades

I'm not a huge fan of dolmades, the flavours of the vine leaves are too strong for me. But the rice filling was lovely and not too heavy.

Grilled Haloumi

Yes! The grilled haloumi were a favourite of the evening. You can't really go wrong with chunks of grilled cheese though!

5. Meditterenean Lamb, 6. Pear & Rocket Salad

Meditterenean Lamb

The meat on the Meditterenean lamb was very tender and fell apart very easily. The only problem was, it did not taste like lamb at all! No gamey flavour, which I found very bizarre. It tasted quite bland, with only the hint of some added spices. Normally, the only kind of lamb that I really enjoy is Meditterenean style lamb, with all the lovely spices, but this one just did not hit the spot.

Pear & Rocket Salad

I enjoyed the pear & rocket salad. Loved the crunch of the pears, however the dressing was a little too oily.

Dessert Platter

We decided to pay $6 extra (per person) for the dessert platter. And yes, it was a great decision! I would have been supremely disappointed if I ended my meal without dessert!

Hazelnut Ice Cream

Homemade Baklava and Rose Turkish Delight

Chocolate Panacotta

Galaktobouriko
(Custard filled filo pastry)


Cinammon Ice Cream

I love hazelnut ice cream (and gelato - my favourite flavour!), so I pretty much had most of that (actually, I had most of the dessert platter - lol)! The cinammon ice cream was also very interesting and lovely. I was surprised at the size of the baklava (I think I'm just used to seeing big pieces), but the nutty bits in between filo pastry doused in sugary syrup were great, as were the galaktobouriko.


Overall:
I know that it was probably wrong of me to compare this experience to
Perama, but I just couldn't help it! Despite the promise of a great meal at a bargain price, the food was really hit and miss. More misses, unfortunately. Luckily the dessert platter ended the night on a slightly higher note!

Il Greco Greek Restaurant 
199 Victoria Rd, (Cnr Cowell St)
Gladesville NSW 2111
Tel: (02) 9817 5000
www.ilgreco.com.au
Open for Dinner from 5.30pm Tues - Sat

9 comments:

  1. Not satisfied with Perama yet? LOL oh man hazelnut ice cream nomnomnom! Btw, just passing on the Kreative Blogger award to you! You and your blog are such a darl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boo :( sorry to hear about the pitiful food but at least the haloumi was good! And the photos are still making me very very hungry -___-

    ReplyDelete
  3. desert looks yummy! & only $6 extra?? hehe

    and yep. totally agree, can't go wrong with deepfried cheesey goodness :)

    xx Bets

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like a pretty good deal for so much food. But I suppose once you've been to Perama, you can never compare...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh that pita bread does look woefully greasy :( The dessert platter looks worth it though! And grilled haloumi always saves the day, you can't go wrong with it :D Is your stomach ready for Perama Take 2?

    ReplyDelete
  6. that scoop of hazelnut ice cream looks really yummy! glad your extra $6 was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. I'm passing on the Kreativ Blogger Award to you Betty! Check it out on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love dolmades. It has a sour, tangy taste and love, love the brined grape leaves. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Trisha: Isn't hazelnut just the best ice cream flavour!? I heart it very much! Thanks again for the award :) You're too sweet!

    Hi FFichiban: Yeah, it was pretty disappointing. I don't think I'd go again!

    Hi Bets: Yes, dessert was pretty good, thankfully!

    Hi Belle: It seemed like a good deal, but the food was just not worth it. And of course, nothing can compare to Perama!

    Hi Steph: Oh, the pita bread was the worst I've had in a restaurant :( Yep $6 extra was worth it! I don't think my stomach will ever be ready, but bring it on!! Aww and thanks again for the award :)

    Hi K: Hehe, yes it was, thanks!

    Hi Jackie: Hmm.. I'm not a huge fan, unfortunately. But each to their own!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails