Monday, July 06, 2009

The Little Snail, Pyrmont

How was it?
Food: 7/10
Service: 7.5/10

Ambience: 7/10

Value: $$$




Whilst dining at Shanghai Night, Little J and I were flicking through her entertainment book and we stumbled upon The Little Snail. This French restaurant in Pyrmont offers a 25% discount off the total bill when using the entertainment card. So we decided to book this place in and fast forward a few weeks, we are sitting in The Little Snail.



I noticed the spirally stairs when walking in and the loud jazz music. I felt like I was in some kind of resort, or hotel lobby, rather than in a classy French restaurant. A little bit odd. The service however was great this evening. I think the waiters spotted the camera and photo taking, and perhaps paid a little bit more attention to us! Haha.

There's a variety of options on the menu, and we decided to choose the 3 course dinner for $52.00.

Side: Chilli Cheese & Honey Bread $6.00

Little J had tasted chilli cheese & honey bread once before, and she had her sights set on this when she spotted it on the menu! The warm bread dripping with honey and cheese, with the extra kick from the chilli was so completely moreish!

Escargot - Snails (1 dozen)
Marinated in wine and herbs, oven baked in garlic butter

"Slippery little suckers" (Pretty Woman moments!)

We decided to order the escargot because Little J had never tried them before, plus we were in a French restaurant, we had to order something French (not that there were many French options on the menu). There were many slippery moments with the tongs, but we eventually figured out a system and thoroughly enjoyed the escargots. It was all about the garlic butter sauce!

Pan-seared Scallops with Roasted Sweet Peppers, Eggplant Caviar and Puree of Sweet Peas

The scallop entree was tasty but it kind of reminded me of the scallops & snow peas dish that is always ordered at Chinese restaurants (not a bad thing!).

Seafood Plate: Grilled Fish, Prawns, Calamari, Soft Shell Crab and Steamed Mussels (pictured above) with Mescun Salad

Soft Shell Crab

Grilled Salmon

I ordered the seafood plate, and I particularly enjoyed the soft shell crab and the grilled salmon. However, no seafood plate can compare to the amazingly fresh seafood at the Sydney Fish Markets.

Prime Steak Fillet with Balsamic-infused Mushroom and Onion Confit, Garlic Mash and Red Wine Jus

Little J ordered the steak and she thoroughly enjoyed it. I managed to grab a bite and it was moist and tender, and I could see why it was a popular dish.


Homemade Profiteroles


Vanilla Crepes

We had our eye on dessert when we first looked at the menu. We both wanted the profiteroles and the vanilla crepes - perfect eating buddies! The vanilla crepes were delicious but after a few mouthfuls, I found the strawberry compote to be a little bit too strong and too much to handle. The profiteroles however were perfect! Little choux pastry balls filled with custard and dipped in chocolate, as if you wouldn't enjoy that?! I love profiteroles!




Overall:
The service was great here, despite the jazz-club atmosphere (but you might like that kind of thing?!). The chilli cheese & honey bread and the escargot were the standouts, however it is a little bit pricey considering the type of food on offer. If it wasn't for the entertainment book, I probably would never had dined here. Yay for (friends who have) the entertainment book!

The Little Snail
50 Murray St,
Pyrmont NSW 2009
Tel: (02) 9212 7512
www.thelittlesnail.com.au
Little Snail on Urbanspoon

9 comments:

  1. I love French food, especially escargot! It does seem like quite a pricey restaurant, I wish there were more cheap French places!

    ReplyDelete
  2. soft shell crab in a french restaurant hehe now i've heard of everything. scallops looks nice and plump.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes The Little Snail! I haven't been for years and years. They used to have other ones (I think they were related) and we tried escargot at the Bondi one for the first time when we were teens. And you're right, it's all about the garlic butter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "French restaurant with not many French options on the menu" lol!!! Chilli cheese & honey bread sounds so good... but is it French? O_o

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snails? I've only been game enough to eat it once and I must admit it was quite a taste sensation! And thanks for the heads up re entertainment book - might give this one a go!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just recently purchased the new entertainment book as well, but have not had the time to go through it. I'm glad little snail is in it this year though. I've always wanted to try it, though mixed reviews has always deterred me. I guess with it being in the entertainment book, there's no excuses now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Steph: Yeah, there should definitely be more cheap French eats around... maybe it's time to investigate!

    Hi Simon: I know, I was quite puzzled at the lack of french items on the menu.

    Hi Lorraine: Hehe, the garlic butter totally made the dish!

    Hi Ellie: I have no idea, but it tasted good :)

    Hi Trisha: They are certainly quite the taste sensation! No worries!

    Hi Linda: There's so many options in the EB, it'd be so hard to get through, even if you eat out every night! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has been so long since I have been here. I can't even remember where their original restaurant was.. perhaps Broadway? So many fantastic dinners enjoyed with high school and uni friends. And it was where I first tried French snails too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Forager: I had never even heard of it until we came across it in the entertainment book. I can imagine it being such a treat when you're in high school! I never went to any place like this, Pizza Hut was pretty great (to me) back then! lol.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails