Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Cafe Ish, Surry Hills

How was it?
Food: 8/10
Service: 7/10
Ambience: 6.5/10
Value: $$

Cafe Ish's Signature Coffee - Wattle Maccacino

I was hearing many good things about Cafe Ish in Surry Hills, so I organised to have brunch there with two of my favourite dining companions - Miss LV and Miss Toronto. The cafe offers organic modern Australian fare with a Japanese twist. This is all thanks to influences from the Australian chef - Josh, and his lovely Japanese girlfriend.

Various Salts

A warning to other foodbloggers: you will be questioned and get some funny looks when you pull out your camera. Do not take photos of the menu. Taking photos of the food is OK. It was probably best that I had my back to the kitchen/chef, otherwise I think I would have been a little put off, as I'm not too sure if he's very keen on foodbloggers. Anyway, his girlfriend was very lovely and chatty and the food more than makes up for any uncomfortable feelings I had.

Organic Porridge

The organic porridge was very warm and comforting. I'm always drawn to porridge in winter, as it just gives you a nice warm feeling inside. Not to mention, it's the healthier option! The addition of the fruit also added a lovely sweetness to it.

Roo in a Zoo

I think Miss LV was attracted to the name of this particular one before even reading what it was! It's pretty cute though, no? Basically, it was toasted bread with an omelette in the middle. It was interesting, I thought there wasn't enough of the egg especially since we were sharing everything. So I didn't get to fully taste/appreciate this one.

Soft Shell Crab Omelette

Inside the Soft Shell Crab Omelette

When I suggested Cafe Ish for brunch, Miss LV replied with something along the lines of: "Omg. Is this the place that serves the soft shell crab omelette? Omg. Yes. We're going." Haha. And it did not fail to live up to expectations. The soft shell crab was lovely and meaty and the combination of ingredients and flavours were just right. This was definitely my favourite dish!

Sticky Date Pudding with Wattleseed & Macadamia Ice Cream

And then we were asked if we wanted dessert. Umm... Yes, of course we wanted dessert! There isn't a desserts menu, the chef will pick something to make for the week. There were two special options that day and we decided to pick both of them :)

The sticky date pudding was warm, sweet and moist. And it was paired perfectly with the wattleseed & macadamia ice cream. I loved it so much, I could have eaten bowls full of it :D

Chocolate Creme Brulee Tart

Mmm.. silky and smooth chocolatey goodness

I had been craving chocolate tart for so long, after reading Karen's post, so the chocolate creme brulee tart was just perfect. The chocolate was so very rich and smooth and we all loved the crackly top. It's definitely one for the sweet tooth, and even then it's a challenge to finish!

Lastly, I loved their signature coffee (top picture) - Wattle Maccacino, which is a combination of wattleseed and macadamia. It was smooth, creamy and sweet, and I'd highly recommend it!


Overall:

The dishes on offer were all interesting and delicious. It's not too crowded if you go before 10am, but afterwards, you'd probably have to wait a bit for a table. But it's definitely worth it and I'd love to go back to try more items on the menu.

Cafe Ish
Shop 2/102 Albion St,
Surry Hills NSW 2010
Tel: (02) 9281 1688
Cafe Ish on Urbanspoon

13 comments:

  1. Oh I hate it when people dont want you to take photos, its so annoying, but I guess its their right. I'm glad to see that the food made up for the icky feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehh ? did they say something when you took yor camera out ?
    and whattt soft shell crab omelette ? haha i remember i had soft shell crab pizza in hk :D
    omg i realy wanna eat in Surry Hills, you alawaysss seeem to find such cool places there !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks
    Josh
    Cafe Ish

    ReplyDelete
  4. New menu starts on friday
    prices coming down a little bit
    Crocodile sausage will be back!!
    Josh
    Cafe Ish

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah what did they say when you pulled out your camera?

    Anyway I feel really uncomfortable whenever someone tells me off... it's like no matter how good the food is I can't shake that icky feeling so the whole dining experience is ruined. And it's not just me being the picky foodblogger with the required photos.. alot of my non foodblogger friends love taking photos of their food as well for no other purpose than to share photos with friends/family. But like the other commenter said... it's their right to say yes or no to photography so I just go "Meh". LOL

    The soft shell crab looks really good though!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg soft shell crab omelette sounds awesome! I've heard good things about this place too, though I get thoroughly put off by places that are wary of cameras.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it strange they don't like photos being taken - I've heard it several times about this place. Just as well the food is so worth going for, the crab omelette - mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. He he he dessert at brunch....I like your style ; )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oohh the food looks great! Hee hee always time for dessert I agree ^^!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hehehe oh the controversial place! LOL
    I have not yet been to this place though it's my lunching area.

    It's so funny, because, I used to live in this yellow building 3 years ago LOL I was wondering what the space would turn into as the development was slowly happening.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Maria: It was a little bit off putting at first, but it was all good! And yep, the food was great!

    Hi Eden: They just immediately came over and asked if I was a foodblogger and told me not to take photos of the menu - fair enough. I felt a bit uneasy about photographing after that, but it was all good. Yep, soft shell crab omelette - was awesome! Thanks! I get lots of tips from friends etc, so it's not all me!

    Hi Josh: Thanks for stopping by! Hopefully I'll be able to try the new menu soon!

    Hi Trisha: Yeah, they I was allowed to photograph the food, but I did have an uneasy feeling about it. But it was ok, and the food was awesome, so no worries!

    Hi Steph: It was so awesome! It's a little off putting, but we can't really do much about it.

    Hi Belle: Yeah, it was weird, but I was allowed to take photos of the food - the most important thing! The food more than made up for it!

    Hi Brenda: Hehe. Thanks! I can have dessert at any time of the day. There's a spare tank for dessert :D

    Hi FFichiban: Yeah, it was great. Hehe, yep totally!

    Hi Lorraine: Lol. Yes, I read your review before the controversy, then I went back and saw the comments!

    Hi Yas: How random!! Wow, such a great location that you used to live at! The food is really good, you should try it out when you're at work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha, when I started reading this review I thought "Cafe Ish... I'm sure I've read about this place before" and then when you mentioned the camera thing, the penny dropped! I guess at least it's nice to know it's not just you that they had a problem with!

    That soft shell crab omelette looks GOOD.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails