Sunday, August 16, 2009

Frank's Lebanese Restaurant, Fairfield

How was it?
Food: 8/10
Service: 6/10
Ambience: 6.5/10
Value: $$

Baba Gannouj

For D*'s birthday a couple of weeks ago, she didn't want a big do, but what she did want was Frank's! Frank's is a Lebanese restaurant in Fairfield, catering for big and small groups and serves up some delicious Lebanese fare. It's a big restaurant with white clothed tables and it's pretty old-skool, but charming.

Lebanese Bread

Baba Gannouj $4.90
(Baked Eggplant Puree)


Hommos $4.50
(Chick Pea Puree)

Firstly, we ordered two of our fave dips - baba gannouj and hommos. I loved the smokiness of the baba gannouj and the hommos was light and went down very well. I also enjoyed the lovely and soft Lebanese bread, it was very addictive and we ate it with all of our dishes.

Vegetarian Plate $13.90
(Eggplant, Cauliflower, Tabouli, Hommos, Falafel)

Falafels, Cauliflower

Grilled Eggplant

Cauliflower

We also ordered the vegetarian plate which consisted of grilled eggplant, cauliflower, falafels and dips. I particularly loved the falafel balls, they were warm and crispy and full of flavour. The eggplant was a little bit too oily, but overall the dish was great.

Charcoal Chicken $11.90
Half chicken served with rice (or hommos or chips), tabouli, baba gannouj and garlic cream



Garlic Sauce

The charcoal chicken was very juicy and tender. I loved the char-grilled flavour and the rice was really different to what I'm used to (i.e. jasmine rice). It was not really sticky, but it was quite sweet and went really well with the chicken. The garlic sauce is a particular favourite of D*'s, which was quite enjoyable as well (just make sure you have some mints on hand for after the meal!).

Overall:
A great local restaurant in Fairfield. It's reasonably priced, the staff are friendly and the food is great. I'd definitely recommend it to people wanting to try something a little bit different in Fairfield.

Frank's Lebanese Restaurant
16 Smart St,
Fairfield NSW 2165
Tel: (02) 9724 3000
www.frankslebanesefood.com.au
Frank's on Urbanspoon

15 comments:

  1. Franks is awesome! i haven't been in years after a few times we attempted to get takeaway they had ran out of chicken? ahah but i will definately be giving franks another go =) have you tried Asaeel in Greenacre? top lebanese food especially the pinenut Houmos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you're making my mouth water and I just had dinner! :P That chicken looks amazing and I could eat toum (garic sauce) but the bowlful hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love some of the charcoal chicken right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm always looking out for a really good falafel. i wonder if Franks are better than Jasmin in Punchbowl? http://simonfoodfavourites.blogspot.com/2008/10/jasmin1-2-sept-2007.html Frank's not a very Lebanese name though is it hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. How was the cauliflower by the way? its my lastest taste sensation discovery, i love it!!
    Ive been there and i thought i was walking into a kebab shop.

    WOW you people are comparing lebanese places?
    Jasmin,la shish and Al Aseel (im assuming thats what "i ate it" was talking about)are all roughly the same, GREAT!! Those are my top 3 lebanese places ive been too,Franks is a little under them

    simon you mentioned the best falafel, i got asked that recently and ive FORGOTTEN where it was, it was so crunchy and the inside was not dry (thats what i hate most about falafels,when its dry it feels like its slowly blocking your throat) if it comes to me, i'll tell you......


    Sydneyguyrojoe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mm looks like some great hearty food. You're so good at finding good value eats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi i_ate_it: They ran out of chicken?! But how?! I haven't tried many Lebanese places at all, but thanks for the recommendation! I'm going to add it to my list!

    Hi Lorraine: Hehe! It was so tasty! I couldn't stop eating, I was so full afterwards!

    Hi Anita: It was pretty great!

    Hi Simon: I've never tried Jasmin, but it's on my list! The falafels were so good, really warm and crispy on the outside and nice and soft on the inside. Haha, you're right - Frank's isn't a very Lebanese name! I'm not sure of the backstory with the name!

    Hi Sydneyguyrojoe: I thought that the cauliflower was ok, but it didn't blow me away. Yes, it's a bit odd as the front part does resemble a bbq chicken/kebab shop, but then walking in, it's a big restaurant! What do you mean 'you people'?! lol. I haven't been to any of those places, but I'm adding them to my growing list!

    Hi Steph: It was so great, loved the dips & bread... and chicken.. everything! Thanks, although it is with a lot of help and tips from friends & foodbloggers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha you people as in u food bloggers,not you aliens by the way haha Sometimes reading threw comments i feel like i must be the only non food blogger, well i review on eatability, so technically, im half of one haha

    Sydneyguyrojoe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so good! Ooh, that garlic sauce, so white innocent and fluffy looking. Could tempt me to eat it by the kilo, then hide in shame for a week avoiding conversation..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sydneyguyrojoe: Haha, ok. I didn't know what you were trying to suggest there! I think that a lot of foodies comment, whereas a lot of non-foodies will just browse and move on, I'm not sure?! I've never even commented on eatability, although I do go on it a fair bit. So, you're pretty much a food blogger yourself!

    Hi Forager: Oh yes, it was delicious! Lol. But it'd be worth it! Challenge perhaps?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice find! Having lived in the area myself I still neglect Fairfield a fair bit (apart from Lao food heh)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I live just up the road from here, but only went for the first time last Saturday night. Delicious Lebanese food and exciting to finally find a great restaurant in Fairfield! How awesome is the charcoal chicken? We also had a mixed plate of beef, lamb and chicken skewers. Soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Howard: My friend lives there, so she knows all the hot spots! But I find that I often neglect the area where I live too, often travelling far & wide for food, but I would like to change that!

    Hi Lisa: How awesome that you live just down the road! The charcoal chicken, the dips and bread are all so good! Hehe. Yay for the Frank's love!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i think the other hidden place,though i find it plain the the iraqi place on the street on the train line, the name just escapes me though

    sydneyguyrojoe

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sydneyguyrojoe: I'm not sure which place you mean, but I'll keep my eye out for it next time I'm around!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails