Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Cantina Bar & Grill, Darlinghurst

How was it?
Food: 7.5/10
Service: 7/10
Ambience: 6/10
Value: $$


Imagine a small darkly lit restaurant, with friendly staff serving Mediterranean style tapas and you will get Cantina, which is where I dined a couple of weeks ago. It's located on the very busy Oxford St in Darlinghurst amongst many other eateries and non-eateries!


The menu is quite extensive, and although it is mostly Spanish fare, there are influences from Greece, Morocco and Portugal.

Jamon Bread $5.00
Grilled Sourdough rubbed with Tomato & Garlic, Rocket & Jamon

To start off, we ordered the jamon bread. The salty jamon combined with the fresh tomato, garlic and rocket were delicious and light.

Baby Spinach Salad $17.00
Roast Pumpkin, Goats Cheese, Pinenuts & Grilled Red Peppers

I loved the baby spinach salad. The pumpkins were roasted til perfectly soft, yet not too mushy and the pinenuts added a lovely crunch. I kept coming back for more and more of this!

Air Dried Wagyu Beef $20.00
with Soft Poached Egg and Shaved Manchego Cheese

The egg oozing onto the Wagyu

The air dried wagyu beef was an interesting dish. The waitress explains that we need to let the egg crack onto the beef and then wrap the beef strips up with the rocket sitting underneath. I thought that it was too dry (I know it's 'air dried'!), and the beef-y flavour was a little bit too strong. However, DCM (the meat lover) quite enjoyed this dish, so you might too!

Mussels $12.00

We ordered the mussels from the specials board. It came out steaming hot in a huge bowl! I loved the flavours of the tomato, white wine, saffron and coriander. It was sweet and spicy and the mussels themselves were soft and meaty.

Overall:
I love ordering tapas because you can get more dishes and try a little bit of everything. I thought the flavours in the dishes worked really well together and I'd definitely recommend Cantina if you're looking for some fresh and quality tapas.


Cantina Bar & Grill
245 Oxford St,
Darlinghurst NSW
Tel: (02) 9357 3033
www.cantina.net.au
Open 7 days for dinner
Cantina Bar & Grill on Urbanspoon

11 comments:

  1. Oooo the Air Dried Wagyu Beef sounds intriguing....
    Oh and that baby spinach salad looks so good, I want some now (with extra roasted pumpkin please)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gotta love a nice oozy egg (especially when it's sitting atop too-dry beef, I guess!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've enjoyed the dusted calamari and crumbed sardines here. i really enjoy good quality tapas, especially when it's reasonably priced. is cantina still really popular? i like how it's dark and cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh that air dried Wagyu beef certianly looks interesting with the egg over it! I suppose the egg yolk was supposed to make it less dry but perhaps it needed another egg! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the whole tapas concept of a whole bunch of little meals. The jamon and dried wagyu look pretty good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ilike the idea of the air dried waygu. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Brenda: It was indeed intriguing! The baby spinach salad was so delicious :)

    Hi Conor: An oozy egg is the best!

    Hi Simon: Oh, I didn't get to try those items. I'm not sure because it was my first time there, but it was a weeknight and they were quite full, so I assume that they're still quite popular. Yeah, I liked that too!

    Hi Lorraine: Ooh, I didn't think about that! Hehe. But yeah, it probably needed another egg, it was just a bit too much for me!

    Hi Simon: Me too! The jamon bread was delicious. The wagyu was certainly interesting!

    Hi Anh: It was really interesting, definitely glad I tried it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the soft boiled egg oozing onto the wagyu beef. It's amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh we almost went here for a birthday dinner recently but changed to Churrasco at the 11th hour so I've been keen to see what was offered on the menu - great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oohh this one is definitely on the list now! That wagyu and oozy egg looks like a must-try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ellie: It looks pretty cool aye?!

    Hi Forager: Oh, thanks! It's definitely worth checking out!

    Hi FFichiban: Cool! Yep, some great dishes on offer, and great specials too!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails