Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Ice Cube Seafood Grill & Bar, Darling Harbour

How was it?
Food: 7/10
Service: 7/10
Ambience: 8/10
Value: $$$


If you didn't know already, I love a cheap thrill or bargain of any kind. It makes me feel like I've WON! Lol. One day I received a tweet saying that the first 500 people to follow @IMAXSydney on Twitter and register on their website, would receive a $21 gift card. So, of course I immediately dropped everything and registered! Lol.

A few weeks later I received not 1, but 2 x $21 gift cards in the mail! (Double win!) They could be used in any part of the IMAX Complex. DCM also registered, so together we had 4 gift cards :) We decided to watch Harry Potter in 3D (it was only 3D for the first couple of minutes, so I'm glad it was free!) and have a quick dinner at Ice Cube Seafood Grill & Bar, within the IMAX Complex.

Bruschetta (2 slices) $7.00

The restaurant was open, spacious and it kind of sparkled! All the lighting fixtures were big, shiny and demanded attention, which I loved. But we couldn't potter around for too long because we had a movie to watch. So first up, we ordered some bruschetta. I quite enjoyed the strong basil flavours coming through, which you don't always get at some places.

Steak: 250gr Riverine Tenderloin $39.00

The steaks at Ice Cube are served with vegemite butter and red wine jus. I thought it sounded a little bit odd, but it surprisingly worked really well.

Vegemite Butter

The steak itself was tender and juicy. I loved the presentation of this dish, especially the tomatoes atop the strip of mashed potatoes. But you wouldn't expect any less, I guess.

Grilled Barramundi Fillet $28.00
with Almonds, Green Beans and Potatoes

Have you noticed that I mostly go for the fish/seafood dishes? I guess I just like sea creatures, or perhaps I don't like them. Hehe. The skin on my barramundi fillet was lovely and crispy, the meat was nothing special though. I really enjoyed the addition of almonds to the dish as it was something different.


And that concluded our very speedy dinner, before heading off to watch the movie. And omg, I was so excited to see that IMAX sold the same choc-tops as Hoyts (the ones with the long waffle cones, not like the soggy, short, stubby ones from Greater Union) - I love my choc-tops, so of course I had to have one :)



Overall:
I probably wouldn't have gone to watch the movie at IMAX or dine at Ice Cube, if it wasn't for the gift cards. Without them we would have spent about $130, but we ended up spending $45 - major win! I thought that Ice Cube was a nice restaurant, the food was decent, but I probably wouldn't go back as it was rather pricey and didn't exactly blow me away. But special deals will keep people coming, as will their stellar location.

Ice Cube Seafood Grill & Bar
Gr Floor, Imax Theatre Complex,
31 Wheat Rd,
Darling Harbour, Sydney NSW 2000
Tel: (02) 8267 3666
www.icecubeseafood.com.au
Open 7 days for lunch and dinner
Ice Cube on Urbanspoon
*******

P.s. If you didn't already know, the Sydney International Food Festival 2009 is happening in October. There's lots of great food events around town, so be sure to check out their website and enjoy the month of feasting :) http://www.siff.com.au/

12 comments:

  1. wow you certainly saved a lot. i guess it's a very touristy part of town hence the high prices. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay you're back! :D That's awesome that they gave you two gift cards, so worth it! Ooh vegemite butter, how curious! I can imagine it working somehow though. Ooh yes let's do some siff stuff together next month!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wahooo! I (shamefully) spent all of my IMAX money on icecream. Now that I've seen your post, though, I'm wondering if I shouldn't have maybe tried something new. Nooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got one of those gift cards, but it expired before I got the chance to use it :( Anyway, glad you got to see Harry Potter, and meal looks alright, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're back! YAY!! :D What a great score with the tickets and Vegemite butter? Sounds great-I must try it! Was it very strong?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay - I love a bargain and freebies :) The vegemite butter sounds real interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. welcome back!

    Vegemite butter! I can't really imagine how that would taste like - salty? lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shame it's on the pricey side. The food looks really nice. Just as well you had the discount!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Simon: Yeah, it was awesome! Yeah, it's pretty much expected that most of the places around darling harbour would be quite pricey.

    Hi Steph: Hehe thanks! I know, it was totally worth it! The vegemite butter tasted just like vegemite, but it was not as thick in texture - I think it worked though! Yes, let's do some siff stuff :)

    Hi Shez: Haha. Oh well, at least you got some free ice cream - always a good thing :)

    Hi Belle: Oh no! I made sure to use it before the expiry date hehe ;) I don't think I would've enjoyed either very much if I had to pay full price!!

    Hi Lorraine: Hehe thanks! I know aye!? Hmm the vegemite butter tasted just like vegemite, a little bit salty but not too thick - it was good!

    Hi Anita: Hehe, me too! Yeah, it was really interesting, I'd never seen it on a menu before. It tasted just like vegemite, so I really liked it!

    Hi Yas: Thanks! Yes, salty, kind of just like vegemite!?

    Hi Brenda: Yeah, thankfully I had the gift cards :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. HEy Betty,

    i totally agree with your review,ive been there a few times and sometimes only for the convience of it being next to the IMAX. It is pricey but then again its in darling harbour!!

    The imax card, i had so much problems getting it, the staff at Imax had these thick accents and what should of been a 2 minute fill out forms job turned into 10,because i couldnt understand what they were sayng!!

    Sydneyguyrojoe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sydneyguyrojoe: The location is convenient and explains the price! That doesn't sound good - all I did was sign up on the internet, didn't have to speak to anyone! Hope you still managed to get them anyways :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhh I still have an Ice Cube post from June to do haha thanks for reminding me. I thought the food was pretty decent and the location makes it as well.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails