Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Zilver Restaurant, Haymarket

How was it?
Food: 6.5/10
Service: 6.5/10
Ambience: 7/10
Value: $$


I had heard a lot about yum cha at Zilver, so I was excited to see what all the hype was about. I made a booking for 11am for our group of 6 and we all arrived with empty stomachs (and high expectations). At this point in the morning, the restaurant was only 3/4 full, so it's a good time to get in and avoid the queues.

Apologies in advance, I have no idea what the dishes are all called. I pretty much just asked them to lift the lids for me to peer in! The waiters were all very friendly and patient, which is quite different for yum cha!


One of the first items to land on our table were these chicken and vegetable dumplings. Pan fried on either side, quite flavoursome and not too oily, great with chilli sauce.


I've never seen this dish of beans served up at yum cha before. Interesting. But nevertheless, they were crunchy and seasoned well and I kept going back for more!


The peking duck pancake is another dish I had never seen at yum cha, this immediately makes me think that Zilver is definitely trying to accomodate to western tastes. The pancake was still tasty, but you don't get the theatrics of the person slicing up the duck and then making the pancakes at your table, which is what peking duck is all about!

Next is a selection of dumplings that we chose:

Vegetarian

Prawn & Veges

Siu Mai

Prawn

All steamed the dumplings were good, however they weren't overly exciting. The prawn ones were my favourite, and again, great with chilli sauce!

BBQ Pork Buns


I have a major soft spot for BBQ pork buns. I really do! These ones were lovely and fluffy on the outside and the steaming hot BBQ pork filling was sweet and delightful.

Fried Eggplant

You can probably tell that the fried eggplant were quite oily. I love eggplant, so I enjoyed these however they were a little too oily. Luckily we were sharing these, cause I couldn't have had more than half of one slice.

Spring Rolls

I didn't manage to grab a spring roll, I was trying to save my stomach for more food, but there weren't a lot of trollies coming passed us. At most other yum cha places I've dined at, there's trolley after trolley coming around and you normally have to shoo them away! But, we ended up having to flag some of the waiters down on several occassions to get food.

Mango Pancake

Smurf finally got her mango pancakes! I didn't try any, because I wanted to find some egg tarts but.... can you believe, I couldn't even find any!! I could've probably ordered it from one of the waiters, but I didn't see any egg tarts passing by :( I also didn't see a lot of my fave yum cha dishes i.e. those prawns wrapped in rice noodles, and gai lan.... so disappointing!



Overall:
The food at Zilver was ok, but it certainly does not excel above any other yum cha I've had. I actually left quite disappointed because so many of my favourite dishes weren't around, but I didn't ask about them, so I think they would have been available on order. But I don't like having to order so much at yum cha. Honestly, I think Zilver is overrated, but perhaps my expectations were too high?

Zilver Restaurant
Level 1, 477 Pitt St,
Haymarket NSW 2000
Tel: (02) 9211 2232
Open 7 days
www.zilver.com.au
Zilver on Urbanspoon

11 comments:

  1. I'm curious to try those mango pancakes!

    I agree that you should not have to work too hard for your yum cha feast. We tried somewhere new a few weeks ago and almost starved to death. I'd much rather be turning away food than peering around hungrily for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame you didn't see some of the dishes you wanted. I've found that Zilver is like that, sometimes, though the food there is one of the better places in Sydney. The long wait for a table is another thing - you definitely have to get there before 11am on weekends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes isn't one of the worst things in the world not being to get the dumpling that you are craving for? That's the downfall of yum cha, the missing out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find Zilver to be pretty decent, though I love having my yum cha in Cabramatta and Bankstown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww bit disappointing eh?

    Hmm I don't even know which Yum cha would be the best in Sydney. I always find any yum cha places to be quite inconsistent and hard to decide my favourite. (though Mango pudding and sesame dumplings would make up for whatever the disappointment I might have lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone seems to love yum cha, I've only been once and was underwhelmed. I still have to go back to give it another chance. That's so sad you didn't get egg tarts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i haven't been for ages now. i like their Siu Mai. i never know the names of yum cha items too except for spring rolls hehe sometimes you have to order some dishes to get them in yum cha like the salt and pepper squid at Palace Chinese because they go so quickly when they come out. sometimes when your too early they haven't got the full menu coming out yet which i've experienced at Zilver.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i reckon it's pretty overrated as well, and much prefer Regal for yum cha in the city
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Conor: Yep, those mango pancakes are good, so are banana ones (I used to have them on a weekly basis lol!). Oh, I know! I'd much rather be turning people away than waiting around and looking for food at yum cha :(

    Hi Belle: Yeah, it was a little disappointing. I think I was expecting to be blown away, but I thought it was pretty mediocre. I think the wait is pretty much standard at most yum cha places after 11am!

    Hi Lorraine: Yep, it's definitely one of the downfalls. It's disappointing and annoying! lol

    Hi Squishies: I've never been to yum cha in Cabramatta or Bankstown! I really want to try the Cabra one (the one with the red curtains covering all windows?! lol), people rave about it!

    Hi Yas: Yeah, totally disappointing! That's true. Sometimes you can have a great experience, and sometimes it's terrible! Very unpredictable! Hehe.

    Hi Steph: I love yum cha, but this one was pretty average, in my opinion. I think you should give it another go, perhaps at another place?! I know... no egg tarts, so sad :(

    Hi Simon: Haha. Yeah I have no idea about the names! Ooh, perhaps that could be a reason why I didn't see many trolleys around... interesting. I just don't like having to ask so much for things at yum cha, it kind of defeats the whole experience for me!

    Hi Bea: Agree! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha whoops I meant to say everyone seems to love Zilver, of course i love yum cha! silly me :S

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Steph: Ahah... Of course you do! I was a little bit worried back there, glad we're in the same 'we love yum cha' boat :D

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails