Recently, I read about breakfast casserole's on Kalyn's Kitchen. I liked the idea of throwing anything in as long as you have eggs. So, one morning I had a tin of chickpeas lying around and I could tell that they wanted to swim around in some eggs, make friends with some broccoli, salami and cheese. So who was I to take that dream away from them?
Anyway...!! It was a Saturday morning, and I was in the mood for something hearty and healthy, so I decided to try my hand at baking a breakfast egg casserole.
It was super easy to make and it really is up to you what you want to put into your casserole. Here are my ingredients:
Makes 4 Serves
(adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen)
1 x head of brocolli
6 x eggs, beaten
6 x small slices of Hot Hungarian Salami
1 x tin chickpeas 400gr
1 x cup of tasty cheese
salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 200°C
2. Bring a pot of water to boil to steam the broccoli.
3. Cut up the broccoli and throw into the boiled water for about 3 minutes, afterwards drain the broccoli and let it cool.
4. Rinse chickpeas and drain
5. Beat eggs together
6. Cut up the salami into small slices
7. Assemble the chickpeas, broccoli and salami in a baking dish
8. Pour egg mixture over
9. Bake for 20 minutes at 200°C
About to head into the oven!
I have to say that I was actually pretty amazed by my own breakfast! (Is it bad to say that? Hehe). The chickpeas added a lovely crunch, and the salami gave it a really nice hot kick! I will be making this again, but I might add 2 more eggs next time because it wasn't as eggy as I would've liked :)