Monday, November 02, 2009

Breakfast Egg Casserole


Recently, I read about breakfast casserole's on Kalyn's Kitchen. I liked the idea of throwing anything in as long as you have eggs. So, one morning I had a tin of chickpeas lying around and I could tell that they wanted to swim around in some eggs, make friends with some broccoli, salami and cheese. So who was I to take that dream away from them? 


Anyway...!! It was a Saturday morning, and I was in the mood for something hearty and healthy, so I decided to try my hand at baking a breakfast egg casserole


It was super easy to make and it really is up to you what you want to put into your casserole. Here are my ingredients: 


Makes 4 Serves 
(adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen

1 x head of brocolli 
6 x eggs, beaten 
6 x small slices of Hot Hungarian Salami 
1 x tin chickpeas 400gr
1 x cup of tasty cheese 
salt & pepper to taste 

Method: 

1. Preheat oven to 200°C
2. Bring a pot of water to boil to steam the broccoli. 
3. Cut up the broccoli and throw into the boiled water for about 3 minutes, afterwards drain the broccoli and let it cool.
4. Rinse chickpeas and drain  
5. Beat eggs together 
6. Cut up the salami into small slices 
7. Assemble the chickpeas, broccoli and salami in a baking dish 
8. Pour egg mixture over 
9. Bake for 20 minutes at 200°C

About to head into the oven! 

Ta-da! 

I have to say that I was actually pretty amazed by my own breakfast! (Is it bad to say that? Hehe). The chickpeas added a lovely crunch, and the salami gave it a really nice hot kick! I will be making this again, but I might add 2 more eggs next time because it wasn't as eggy as I would've liked :) 

8 comments:

  1. Love it! You can stick it in the oven, read a few food blogs and then shazam, your breakfast is ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHAHAHA Betty, your chick peas talked to you and told you they wanted to swim in eggs with broccoli? That's awesome, though slightly worrying. It looks so good though, I wanna try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see more cookings on your blog :) Love this casserole. I could eat it everyday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A breakfast casserole? I have never heard of it so thanks for the introduction. It looks delicious and healthy too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hee hee dw my food talks to me too. My chocolate all dream about me eating them.. oh wait, maybe that's my dream :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummm - something like this dish would definitely set me up for a great day! Such an all in one dish eh? Cheese for dairy, broccoli for veggies, salami and eggs for protein and chick peas for fiber!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh mad!! What a great, hearty breakfast! Too bad I can't usually have big breakfasts otherwise this looks like something I'd make! Oh, and spicy salami mmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Conor: Hehe. 'Shazam' - love it. Yep, it was pretty much just like that!

    Hi Steph: Lol. Yep, they totally did!! It was really good, and I kept some and took some to work the next day and it was still good :)

    Hi Ellie: Hehe. Thank you!

    Hi Lorraine: Thank you and no worries! I had never heard of it either and was quite intrigued! Yep it was and super easy too!

    Hi FFichiban: Lol. Nice!

    Hi Trissa: It is such a great way to start the day. Hehe, pretty much all your food groups covered!

    Hi Trisha: I don't usually have big breakfasts' either :( Only on the weekends. The salami was the star, I feel!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails