Monday, November 30, 2009

La Paula's Empanadas and Sweets, Kingsford

How was it?
Food: 7/10
Service: 6.5/10
Ambience: 6/10
Value: $



One of the stops on the Kinsgford/Kensington food tour that Lorraine organised (a few months ago) was La Paula's. We went there to try their empanadas, which you can see and read about here. After tasting their empanadas, a few of us decided to buy some sweet treats to take home. I decided to buy a few things to take with me to the Hoppers Feast at Smurfs that evening.


They didn't have any names of the items in the display, so I just went "I want one of this, one of this, one of that... one of that chocolately one, oh and one of those"! The main ingredient in all of these little treats is dulce de leche (which is sweet condensed milk which has been boiled/cooked to form a caramel like syrup). YUM! They ranged in price from $1-$3 (Trina and I were nudging each other - 'so cheap'!). The first one, pictured above, was two thin sweet biscuits with dulce de leche filling in the middle, and then coated in loads of icing sugar. Lots of sugary goodness, however quite hard to eat without the icing sugar falling off!


The next one was the same kind thing except the icing sugar was replaced with coconut. Deliciously sweet yet not overly coconut-y.


The next one I chose was looked quite similar to the others, but I was so pleasantly surprised to discover that it was actually more of a cake. Two sponge pieces with dulce de leche wedged in the centre and coated with dulce de leche around the outside. The texture was actually quite hard, but I really enjoyed it. It tasted like those asian egg roll biscuits that come in those big tins... (anyone know what I'm saying?!)



The three layered biscuit one was my favourite! I loved the flakey biscuits and combined with the dulce de leche, it was just so moreish!



The chocolate one consisted of dulce de leche sandwiched between two pieces of chocolate sponge. The was lovely and crumbly, even though it was a bit hard.

Petit fours!

Lorraine tells us that La Paula's is quite a hidden little secret as most of it's clientele are native Chileans. People travel far and wide to come for their empanadas and sweets - a very good sign indeed!





Cake/Sweets Display


Overall:
The sweets at La Paula's were delicious. I'm glad that I was sharing them with other people, otherwise I would have probably overdosed on sugar and dulce de leche! If you're in Kingsford (hello UNSW students) and looking for something different of the sweet variety, just take a few extra minutes walk down Gardeners Road to La Paula's and your sweet tooth will thank you!

La Paula's Empanadas and Sweets
118 Gardeners Road,
Kingsford NSW 2032
Tel: (02) 9663 1041
Open Thursday - Sunday 9am - 4pm

p.s. happy 100th blog post to me! yay :)

22 comments:

  1. I can think of worse ways to die than overdosing on on sugar and dulce de leche :)

    Happy 100th blog post!!! Yay indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You won me over at Dulce de leche! Where are the empanada pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww 100 awesome posts! Congrats :) Yay I'm so glad you blogged about this, I was too lazy to do it! So much yummy dulce goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats B.
    1 0 0 ! ! ! blog post. That is fantastic! Good job and 20k+ visitors that's not bad either :o)

    It looks really good now and if you have a 1000 posts you could bring out a book :p

    Keep on the great work.

    cheers,

    J

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY Happy 100th Blog post Betty! :D xxx And yes who could resist those prices and all that DDL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That three layered biscuit looks sooo good! Congrats on your 100th post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 100th post, Betty! Hope you had an extra empanada to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay!! Congrats!!! Howard and I visited Paula's Fairfield branch last Sunday.. omg their meringue/cream cake was so delicious, unfortunately we were too full from lunch to order their empanadas. I know what you mean by it being quite secretive, even at the Fairfield one, there were only locals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy 100th post Betty :)
    and wow, these sweets look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. woohoo happy 100th post dude! and man dulce de leche desserts look so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the 100th post!

    I've been to La Paula a number of times and always look to pick up a little something sweet along with my empanadas.

    This was the place that first got me onto dulce de leche. Haven't looked back since :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on 100 posts! This bakery looks great. Dulce de leche. How can you go wrong? A sweet way to commemorate your 100th posts. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay happy 100 Betty! Here's to many more :D xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats and many many more posts to come!! Can't decide which dessert is the best. All look so yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woohoo congrats on 100th post!!
    Hmmm sweeeeeeets!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on your 100th post! Those desserts look so good, anything with dulce de leche can't be bad, right? I know what egg rolls you're talking about - I used to eat those all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always wondered about this place, disappointed I never went now! Happy 100th post, I'm glad it was sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Spice i am comes at the right timing!

    Congrats to the hungrygirl!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB congrats on your 1000th postttttttttt WHoo hoo we get to celebrate that this saturday :P (cant wait)

    OMG ive been wanting to go to this palce for ages and its just down the road from where i liveee......

    I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee alfajorsssss they've one of my fave biscuitsss..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy 100th post! Ah, I remember the sweetness of those treats very well. So. Much. Sugar. Overload. Hehe.. great minds must think alike as funnily enough my next post features empanadas too :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness, dulce de leche overload! But so much more fun when you're sharing =)

    Happy 100th post by the way! A serious milestone, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Conor: I agree! Thank you :)

    Hi Trissa: Hehe... Oh, I was lazy. Hehe. You can check them out at Lorraine's site :)

    Hi Steph: Thank you so much! Hehe, I know!

    Hi J: Thank you! :)

    Hi Lorraine: Thanks Lorraine :) Hehe I was so amazed, thanks for taking us there! xx

    Hi Anita: It was!! Thank you!

    Hi Belle: Thanks Belle!

    Hi Linda: Thank you! Ooh, I'll have to check out the Fairfield one soon! It's always a good sign when all the locals know about it!

    Hi Betty: Thank you! They were super delicious!

    Hi Chocolatesuze: Thanks dude! They were so so awesome and so so cheap. hehe

    Hi Simon: Thank you! Cool. I've never had it in such copious amounts, I shall never look back either!

    Hi Helen: Thank you! It was very quirky. Hehe I know, it's so yum!

    Hi Karen: Thanks Karen :) xx

    Hi Ellie: Thanks Ellie! Have them all hehe (that's what I did!)

    Hi Yas: Thanks Yas!

    Hi Jacq: Thank you! You're right, anything smothered in dulce de leche goodness is a winner! Yay, me too! I used to love them... still do actually!

    Hi Lili: I guess you'll just have to come back and try it aye?!! Thank you :)

    Hi Kaelyn: Thanks woman!

    Hi Leona: LOL. THAAAAANNNKKKKK YOOOOOUUU!!! You must go! I never knew they were called alfajors, thanks for the tip! :)

    Hi Forager: Thank you! It was pretty intense, but luckily I was sharing! Oh, I saw that... those empanadas looked & sounded truly amazing!

    Hi Mademoiselle Delicieuse: I know hehe! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails