Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Little Haveli Indian Restaurant, Ultimo

How was it?
Food: 8/10
Service: 6/10
Ambience: 6/10
Value: $


We had originally planned to go to the Night Noodle Markets, but after being rather disappointed the previous two years, Carrie and I decided to head elsewhere. She took me to one of her fave Indian restaurants in Ultimo called Little Haveli.

Medium Meal $8.00
Rice + Palak Paneer + Butter Chicken

They have a number of special meal deals on offer. You can choose to have either the small, medium or large meal, which comes with rice and your choice of two curries. The different choice of meal sizes reflect the portion sizes. Prices also vary depending on whether you choose vegetable or meat curries. We both decided to order the medium meal (a bargain at $8.00), with one vegetable curry and one meat curry. I decided to be naughty and ordered the naan bread instead of rice - I love naan bread!

Palak Paneer
Spinach Curry with Cottage Cheese Cubes

Carrie ordered the Palak Paneer as her vegetable curry. I loved the colour and strong flavour of the spinach. It's always good when the food arrives and it matches it's description! The cottage cheese was lovely and soft and did not overpower the curry at all.

Butter Chicken
Boneless Chicken Roasted in Tandoor Cooked in Tomato, Cream and Almond Sauce

The meat curry that Carrie chose was the butter chicken. An oldie but a goodie. It's pretty hard to go wrong with butter chicken, but I know that a lot of places do. The chicken pieces were lovely and tender, the curry was flavoursome, rich, creamy and a little bit sweet. Definitely enjoyed.

Naan Bread

I requested to have naan bread instead of rice (it wasn't on the menu) and they had no problems changing it for me. The naan bread was good, it wasn't as amazing as the one at Thousand Spices, I like my naan bread to have that extra crispness without being hard!

Dal Makhani
Lentils Cooked with Onion and Tomato finished with butter & cream

I ordered the Dal Makhani as my vegetable curry choice. It was simple and delicious. It's practically healthy, minus the butter and cream! The texture was nice and creamy, not too thick though. And I liked the soft lentils.

Chicken Tikka Masala
Boneless Chicken Roasted in Tandoor, with Onions, Capsicum, and Tomato

Another oldie, but a goodie. I ordered the Chicken Tikka Masala as my meat curry. The chicken pieces were lovely and tender, like in Carrie's butter chicken. It wasn't too spicy, but it did have a slight kick to it, which was most welcome.


Overall:
I loved the whole no muss, no fuss attitude at Little Haveli. Not much is given to food presentation, decor and ambience, but it doesn't really matter when the food is not only delicious, the portions sizes are generous and it really is cheap as chips! There's also a little sink inside the restaurant where you can wash your hands after getting down and dirty with your meal - I thought that was really cute and thoughtful!

Little Haveli
153 Broadway,
Ultimo NSW 2007
Tel: (02) 9212 2471
Open 7 Days for dinner
www.littlehaveli.com.au
Little Haveli on Urbanspoon

11 comments:

  1. I would have swapped to naan too, it's just too good to resist! I agree that this naan doesn't seem quite cooked enough though. I wonder if they always had the sink, or if they installed it after getting annoyed that all their bills were paid with sauce-covered notes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Betty - every thing sounds delicious - I am a big fan of Indian food - but have never been to Haveli - thanks for recommending it. I am always looking out for new haunts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not normally a fan of Indian food, mainly because I pick the most dodgy places! Glad you recommend Little Haveli, I'll have to keep it in mind for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. god bless little haveli. it's a shame it smells a bit like barn yard out the front but once you get over that, it's quite a charming little joint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I go past this place all the time but I've never been in. The food looks great and seems like good value as well. Thanks for the review - I might go and try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Palak Paneer is my absolute favourite. I tried to make it once and it tasted like chalk ehehe. Good Indian is hard to find and with an 8 out of 10 I will definately give this restaurant a visit. yummm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh very nice find! I love palak paneer. I keep saying to myself that one day I'll make paneer but never do hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha its practically helathy minus the butter and creeam :P

    indian food is my fav but i try not to eat it too often otherwise i'd prob be double the size i am now :s

    ReplyDelete
  9. how can you beat naan! we always opt for the naan, if we dont we end up still feeling hungry a the end of the night because we are never satisfied! The dishes look quite nice, good to see that the flavor was good too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there Hungry Girl.. love your blog! :)

    I eat Indian almost every 2nd or 3rd night, so I've tried my fair share of Indian restaurants in Sydney. But have never bn to Little Haveli, so thanks for sharing!

    For me, the best is Maya da Dabha in Surry Hills. They do a wonderful palak panir, and some very tasty naan too ;) I did a post on the restaurant a lil' while ago...
    http://diaryofaladybird.blogspot.com/2009/08/maya-da-dabha-surry-hills_25.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Trissa: No worries! This place is such great value for money and in such a great, convenient location!

    Hi Conor: It is, isn't it?! Lol. You're too funny! It's definitely a possibility, but either way, it's pretty great!

    Hi Belle: Aww really?! Cool, you should give it a go!

    Hi Jacq: No worries! You should definitely give it a go, I couldn't believe what a bargain it was! lol.

    Hi Bea: Indeed. I didn't notice the barn yard smell? Hmm.

    Hi A cupcake or Two: Chalk! Haha. It was really yummy! Cool! There's a lot of good Indian restaurants in Homebush!

    Hi Lorraine: Thank you! You should make it, and then I'll come and test it hehe :)

    Hi Betty: Yes! It's great, but I think that there are a lot of healthy items that you could get i.e. go for less creamy things, and more tomato based items, rice instead of naan etc (none of the things that I do btw!)

    Hi Maria: I know! I always choose naan over rice whenever I'm at Indian restaurants, it's just not the same without it!

    Hi Ladybird: Thank you :) No worries! Oh sounds interesting, I'm going to have to put that on my list! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails