Sunday, December 13, 2009

Kazbah on Darling, Balmain

How was it?
Food: 8.5/10
Service: 6.5/10
Ambience: 7/10
Value: $$


I love that above picture so much, that it is now my twitter background image. Not only was it a stunning looking dish but just one bite sent me into foodie heaven. This dish, of course, was at none other than Kazbah on Darling in Balmain. I had been there once before, pre-foodblogging days, and I raved about it all the time and thought that it was high time that I revisited.

The coolest water jug you've ever seen

Thanks Little J!

Stepping into Kazbah feels like you've been transported to an exotic resort. Mosaic plates and trinkets dot the walls and a huge flower setting takes centre stage. I love all the colourful plates and especially the water jug! The cuisine at Kazbah is described as North African, Middle Eastern and Moroccan. So get your tastebuds ready for a real treat!

Feta Potato Cake, Smoked Salmon, Crème Fraîche, Red Wine Onion Marmalade $19.50

Feta Potato Cake, Smoked Salmon, Crème Fraîche, Red Wine Onion Marmalade $19.50

Little J and I decided to order two items to share. The first dish to arrive was the feta potato cake. It was absolutely amazing! The textures of each different layer were gorgeous and I could not stop moaning!

Feta Potato Cake, Smoked Salmon, Crème Fraîche, Red Wine Onion Marmalade $19.50

The feta potato cake was soft and crumbly, and the thin slices of smoked salmon were perfect with the crème fraîche. The red wine onion marmalade was very interesting. I loved that there was a strong onion-y taste, but it was lovely and sweet at the same time. You must get a little bit of everything in each mouthful to get the full effect. It was simply amazing!

Breakfast Tagine $18.00 p/person
Roast Pumpkin, Spinach, Roast Capsicum, Roast Tomato, Caramelised Onion, Feta, Eggs, Turkish Toast and Lebanese Bread

Next to arrive was the famous vegetarian breakfast tagine. It was just as good as I remembered. I loved the sweet roasted pumpkins, mixed with all the veges and the gooey egg.



Two types of bread are offered with the tagine - Turkish bread and Lebanese bread. Both were great with the tagine, although I'm a sucker for Turkish bread and if it's in front of me for long enough, I'll most likely eat it all!

Hot Chocolate $4.50

Little J's hot chocolate with real chocolate pieces inside! She was very happy!

Juice of the day: Watermelon & Ginger $6.50

I ordered the juice of the day which was watermelon and ginger, which was very refreshing and perfect for the morning. I was surprised to see that it was $6.50 on the bill though?! I thought that was a bit steep, considering how tiny the glass was :( But, oh well.. at least it was good!


Crayons are provided in a little cup to keep the kiddies entertained (or the young at heart!)


Kazbah are taking part in StreetSmart which is "a unique bridge between the community and small, grassroots agencies that assist people experiencing homelessness". Some restaurants are helping to raise money by adding a small amount ($2) to your bill. You can read more about it here.



Overall:
I loved the breakfast here at Kazbah. The atmosphere was buzzing, I loved the decor and the food was amazing. I think it's something that is really unique and definitely worth a try. If only I lived closer, I'd be there all the time!

Kazbah on Darling
379 Darling St,
Balmain NSW 2041
Tel: (02) 9555 7067
Open for breakfast & lunch - Saturday, Sunday & Public Holidays
Open for dinner - Wednesday to Saturday
http://www.kazbah.com.au/
Kazbah on Urbanspoon

18 comments:

  1. Hey Betty - I've only been to Kazbah for breakfast - while I really enjoy the breakfast the service sometimes is quite slow (could be because they are always so busy!)... but you are right - that potato cake looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee got some good macroness going on there :) I still have yet to try this place and now I am totally convinced to go soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always find juice is such a rip off in Sydney! But the food looks soooo good, you have to take me with you next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, isn't the water jug just so covetable! :D Love your new twitter pic too-it's very hypnotic and I found myself staring at it hungrily! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the breakfast looks a lot better than the dinner i've had there. will have to eventually check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just had breakfast here also last Saturday at 10.30 am.. wat time were u there? We ordered the potato cake (like urs), lamb tagine, French toast & bacon, and pancake... all amazing ! too full !! haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, Kazbah is easily one of my favourite breakfast places. They do an excellent breakfast tagine, a mean bloody mary and they provide crayons. What more can one ask for?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks fantastic, even the bread looks highly desirable! I suspect it's one of those places I'd take far too long to decide on what to order.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After hearing this place from trissa, read it on kath's blog and now reading your post... it's high time for me to pay them a visit. Totally loving your first picture!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like a really nice weekend brunch. I would so go the breakfast tagine but for $18, it wouldn't be an every weekend thing.

    The juice was a total rip off by the looks of it. I would be so pissed paying $6.50 for that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is the coolest water jug! hehe The tagine looks good- I wanna dip that turkish bread into the egg yolk!

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmm i love kazbah! the eggs are always perfect and the place has such a great chill out vibe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kazbah's brekkies rock! Dinner isn't bad, though it is a more 'upmarket' affair. You should try it sometime, you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm, that potato cake looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Still have yet to make it here but I've heard so many good things about it! The potato cake looks amazing and omg I want that hot chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the water jug too...what leaves were in it? Mint? Also love the watermelon and ginger drink. Cool that you got to see it with new eyes, post blogging...and appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review, it's sounds lovely. I also love the first photo - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Trissa: Yeah, the service was really slow, but I think I didn't notice so much as I was marvelling all the pretty decorations. Hehe.

    Hi FFichiban: Thanks! You must go soon, the breakfast is to-die-for!

    Hi Steph: I was kind of shocked when I saw the bill! But at least there's always Cabramatta for a cheap sweet juice fix! Ok, let's do it!

    Hi Lorraine: So so covertable! Love it! :D Hehe thanks!

    Hi Simon: You should definitely give the breakfast a try.

    Hi Bean Sprout's Cafe: Hehe I think I was there at around 11am or something?! How freaky! hehe. Oh you got to try so much, I should've come and crashed your party! Lol. j/k

    Hi Forager: Exactly. The crayons and water jug really top it off for me!

    Hi Conor: Yes, so many good things to choose from! But I'm pretty certain that everything is fantastic, so you won't go wrong!

    Hi Ellie: Yes, I think so! Thank you :)

    Hi Simon: Yes, it is a nice treat on the weekend! I had no idea that it was going to be $6.50, I was pretty shocked... and especially because it was so tiny :( Oh well, it was still good! Just won't order the juice next time!

    Hi Adrian: I know aye?! I did exactly that, and it was awesome!

    Hi Chocolatesuze: Me too! I love everything about it!

    Hi Belle: Totally agree with you! Ok, I'll definitely have to try the dinner there!

    Hi Missklicious: It was seriously amazing!

    Hi Jacq: I love the breakfast there, you should definitely check it out sometime!

    Hi Kitchen Butterfly: I think they were mint leaves. Yes, it was very refreshing, except very pricey! Yes, it's always different going somewhere post blogging, it's never the same!

    Hi Anita: Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails