Monday, December 07, 2009

Masuya Japanese Seafood Restaurant, Sydney

How was it?
Food: 8.5/10
Service: 7/10
Ambience: 7/10
Value: $$$


Sometimes it's good when people cancel on you (Hi K! hah). That's what happened to me a while back, and I decided to scrap our dinner plans and make new plans. New plans that included me finally making my way to Masuya! Yay. I heard lots of good things about Masuya so I was eager to check it out for myself.

Masuya Mojito $5.80
Fresh Lime, Apple Juice, Ginger Ale and Mint

Firstly, we chose some drinks from their mocktails menu. The Masuya mojito was so refreshing. I loved the mint and fresh lime combination. I think it's pretty safe to say that I'm a big mojito fan, alcoholic or non!

Homemade Ice Lemon Tea $5.80
Earl Grey Tea, Peach, Fresh Squeezed Lemon

I ordered the homemade ice lemon tea which was also lovely and refreshing. The hint of peach was just enough so as to not overpower the drink (I don't like it when it's too peachy).

Nasu Miso $5.80
Deep fried eggplant with Masuya's original miso paste

Nasu Miso $5.80
Deep fried eggplant with Masuya's original miso paste

I love miso eggplant! Whenever I see it on a Japanese menu, I must order it! The skin on this eggplant was quite tough and oily, it was even hard to chew, so that made things a bit more difficult than normal! But the meaty part was deliciously soft and sweet. I love miso paste. You can never go wrong with anything smothered in that goodness, can you?

Sushi O'Connell $19.80
Combination of traditional & modern sushi nigiri and sushi rolls

The menu is quite extensive, covering all sorts of sashimi, sushi, hot pots, chef's specials, entrees, side dishes and more! So it was pretty tricky trying to decide on what to order for our mains, but we settled on a platter of sushi, a platter of sashimi and a salad.

Cucumber and Salmon Sushi Rolls

Tuna and Scallop Sushi Rolls

This sushi platter was great because we got to sample a little bit of everything. I thought that the sushi rolls were all tasty, however not as amazing as the ones at Makoto.

Tuna Nigiri and Kingfish Nigiri

The nigiri sushi were all delicious! The tuna and kingfish were fresh and fleshy. I loved the small bed of rice that the slices of sashimi sat on top. I couldn't get over how fabulous the rice was! It wasn't hard or really sticky, it was so soft and almost melted in the mouth. It was gorgeous!

Grilled Salmon Nigiri

The grilled salmon nigiri was very interesting. I thought that the little marks from the grill were pretty cool! It was only lightly grilled, so the salmon did not lose any of it's fresh juiciness.

Salmon Nigiri and Prawn Nigiri

The prawn nigiri was surprisingly delicious. I'm not usually a huge fan of the prawn one but this one was very meaty and soft, so we were both very pleased. The salmon nigiri was a combination of their beautiful sashimi on top of their beautiful rice, could-not-go-wrong.

Tofu & Cucumber Sushi Roll

The 'modern' sushi roll on offer was the tofu and cucumber roll. I loved the rice, however I always struggle with these big ones and they always end up collapsing on my plate!

Sashimi Ocean 5 $14.80
Tuna, Kingfish, Salmon, two varieties of fish of the day, served on ice

Tuna sashimi and fish of the day

Kingfish Sashimi

Salmon Sashimi

All the sashimi on offer was super fresh and soft. After every bite there was a "mmmm so good" coming out of me! Every piece was like heaven. Definitely one of the best sashimi platters I've had.

Masuya's Salmon Salad $12.80
Lightly spiced marinated salmon with creamy blue cheese, served with a rice vinaigrette dressing

Masuya's Salmon Salad $12.80
Lightly spiced marinated salmon with creamy blue cheese, served with a rice vinaigrette dressing

The salmon salad was lovely and light. The creamy blue cheese was very creamy and the light rice vinaigrette gave the salad a refreshing twist. The salmon was soft and gorgeous, and at that price, I thought it was pretty good!

Rice Vinaigrette Dressing

2 Kind of Soy Sauce for Sushi and Sashimi
Hehe... I was in quite the jovial mood:)


Overall:
I'd definitely recommend Masuya to anyone for some of the freshest sashimi in town. I thought that the rice on those sushi rolls was incredible. It's a little bit pricier than your average Japanese restaurant, but it's definitely worth every cent.

Masuya Japanese Seafood Restaurant
Basement Level, 12-14 O'Connell St,
Sydney NSW 2000
Tel: (02) 9235 2717; (02) 9231 0038
Open Monday - Saturday
http://www.masuya.com.au/en/masuya/
Masuya Japanese Seafood on Urbanspoon

19 comments:

  1. Ahhh Masuya how long has it been? They changed their nasu dengaku :S and they do one of the best salmon aburi imo! Also nice face! (soy sauce face that is :P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Masuya is one of my favourite restaurants - really value for money... maybe I'll see you there one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like I definitely have to pay this place a visit! It sounds like they definitely take their sushi and sashimi seriously :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, hard-to-chew eggplant? I can just imagine myself getting a big piece in my mouth halfway through a conversation then having to spit half of it out or swallow it whole!

    Soy sauce man! Tee hee :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL I love the soy sauce face :D I'm going here this week, haven't been in ages! I'm totally with you on the miso eggplant, love love love it! Always have to get it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Masuya is my absolute favourite japanese restaurant. Agree with FFichiban, best salmon aburi. Miso wagyu, tonkatsu.... many good dishes there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lurve Masuya! I haven't had the salmon salad before, so it's on my list for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sashimi sounds great but shame about the eggplant :( Love the grill markings in the grilled salmon and a Masuya mojito sounds perfect for a day like today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The grilled salmon with the little grill marks looks so good! It's been a while since I've been to Masuya but their sashimi is so fresh and absolutely TDF!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not too sure if I should interpret that soy sauce motif as the face of some tribal god or private parts. Nor "jovial" given the same context :)

    It doesn't seem too overly exxy. I've seen far less being served for far more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got hungry too, reading this post. Nice blog! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love mojitos too. They are so refreshing.

    And that salad sure does look tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ah..nothing beats fresh well made sushi and sashimi!

    I'm a sucker for mojitos...the apple juice and mint would have had me coming back for seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know how you feel when it comes to miso paste - I think my weakness is Japanese mayo. I could eat pretty much anything if it's covered in enough of that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  15. look at those thick beautiful pieces of sashimi! I'm craving japanese now, and I just finished my lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so craving a mojito or ice tea right now...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely photos! Everything looks so good!! I have never had grilled salmon nigiri before and it seems like the trend now so I will have to try it! I find eggplant is always best without the skin!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hahaha Betty loooove the soy sauce "face". That's alot of sushi and sashimi and ohhhh I'm craving for Japanese now :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi FFichiban: Thanks! I agree! So yummy :)

    Hi Trissa: I love it there! That would be great!

    Hi Lorraine: Yes, you definitely have to visit Masuya! They take their sushi & sashimi very seriously! :D

    Hi Conor: Yeah, it was a little weird. I tried both your methods, not very attractive either way! hehe.

    Hi Steph: Thanks! Anything covered in miso paste is amazing! :)

    Hi Ellie: OOh, so many dishes that I have to try. Thanks for the tips!

    Hi Belle: Me too! Oh yes, it's definitely worth a try.

    Hi Helen: The grill markings were so cool! hehe. I could go for another one right now ;)

    Hi Jacq: I know, I couldn't stop taking photos and staring at it! hehe. Totally agree!

    Hi Simon: LOL! Dirty mind you! LOL. I didn't post up the R rated versions! So you should take it to represent a tribal god! Yes, very true.

    Hi Mojito Social Club: Thank you!

    Hi Missklicious: Totally agree with you!

    Hi Adrian: Yep, I could eat it at every meal of the day! It was pretty awesome!

    Hi Forager: Lol. Yep, miso paste, japanese mayo, even the salad dressing - I'd pretty much eat anything covered in those lovely things! hehe

    Hi Maria: Hehe sorry to bring on the cravings!

    Hi Iron Chef Shellie: I say, go and satisfy those cravings!

    Hi Rilsta: Thank you! :) Yep, I loved the subtle charcoal flavour, you must try it! Yep, I agree!

    Hi Trisha: Hehe thanks! It was so good! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails