Thursday, January 21, 2010

Sushi Roll, World Square, Sydney

How was it? 
Food: 7.5/10 
Service: 6.5/10 
Ambience: 6/10 
Value: $$ 

In the midst of the madness that was December of '09, we stumbled into this lovely sushi joint in World Square. I was actually in the mood for Makoto (as I always tend to be these days), but not in the mood to wait, so we decided to walk around and give Sushi Roll a try. 

Salmon & Avocado Sushi $3.60

Salmon & avocado is pretty ordinary, but it's also pretty fantastic and we love it. The mini salmon & avocado rolls were tasty little morsels of goodness. The rice was lovely and soft. Off to a good start and I was pleasantly surprised. 

Salmon Sashimi $6.80

The gold plate of salmon sashimi! It's pretty funny that back in the school days I would have never dreamed of touching the stuff, let alone eating it! Thankfully, I've seen the light and really love sashimi now. This one was lovely, light and fresh. 

Salmon Roe & Salmon Ship Sushi $5.60

I took this plate off the train simply because it was so very pretty. Both sushi's came wrapped in salmon sashimi. One was topped in salmon roe, whilst the other was topped with chopped up salmon mixed with mayo (I think!). They were both delicious, I love all the different textures when biting into it. 

Grilled Salmon Nigiri $3.60 

Oh, I just realised that everything we ordered was salmon! We're so very adventurous. Anyway, I really loved the grilled salmon nigiri. The salmon was lightly grilled giving it a lovely smoky flavour. This was my favourite of the night. I wanted to get a few more plates of this, but I thought that would have been a bit excessive, so I refrained. 

Takoyaki $3.60

Some takoyaki balls were ordered. They were crisp on the outside and lovely and gooey inside. 

Vegetable Soup 

I was in the mood for something warm and filling, so we decided to order the vegetable soup. It was a clear broth with a mixture of vegetables and tofu. It was very flavoursome, and we both thought that it was actually much better than the soup that we tried at Makoto

Black Sesame Ice Cream 

A scoop of black sesame ice cream was ordered for dessert. It really had a strong black sesame taste, so I thought maybe they made it there. It was really very tasty and a perfect end to the meal. 

Hot Sake


Overall: 
A great little sushi joint in the heart of the city. It's one of those places that I've walked by so many times without noticing. The food was great, service was friendly, and I definitely recommend it for a quick and easy meal. 

Sushi Roll 
Shop 10.19 World Square, 
644 George St, 
Sydney NSW 2000 
Tel: (02) 9283 1881
Open 7 days 
www.sushiroll.com.au

10 comments:

  1. I've walked past this place hundreds of times and have wondered what it was like; thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love nice & cheap jap eats, thanks for sharing Betz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very fresh and tasty, just how I like my sushi, funnily enough. Good to see you washed it down with some sake :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing Betty - looks like quite a good find. I will definitely keep it in mind next time I'm in the area

    ReplyDelete
  5. there's so many japanese (and sushi!) places in the city and surrounding suburbs.... how many have you been to already Bets??? that grilled salmon nigiri looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember years ago we used to joke about people wanting their sushi cooked but aburi sushi has turned out to be one of our favourite dishes! And welcome back Betty! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love, love salmon so I definitely would have picked the same dishes! Everything looks so nice and fresh! I'm drooling over the grilled salmon nigiri!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe I walked past this all the time. Will have to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum- I love salmon too! I haven't been to a sushi train for a while.....now I have a sushi craving!
    The Takoyaki looks really good- I love how it looks like such a mess =]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Joey: No worries :)

    Hi Betty: Me too :) No worries!

    Hi Conor: Gotta wash down the fresh & tastiness with something ;)

    Hi Trissa: You're welcome!

    Hi Trisha: I know! It's awesome though cause I love Jap :) Hehe.. not enough ;)

    Hi Lorraine: It looks like it's pretty popular at the moment, no complaints from me though :) Thank you :)

    Hi Rilsta: Hehe that was to-die-for! I wanted a few more plates of it but had to restrain myself!

    Hi Elaine: Yes, it's one of those places that you always walk past and never really think about!

    Hi Von: Cool. Yes, and all the gooeyness is just so tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails