Monday, March 29, 2010

Ripples @ Sydney Wharf, Pyrmont

How was it?
Food: 8/10
Service: 6.5/10
Ambience: 8.5/10
Value: $$$


Late last year, on a particulary beautiful and sunny day, a couple of hungry girls and I descended upon Ripples at Sydney Wharf in Pyrmont for a lovely Christmas lunch. This is one of the five restaurants of the Ripples group and it sits at the end of the wharf, right by the water. It's quite tucked away, so it's quite serene, without much noise or distractions.

Seared scallops with Crisp Pork Belly, Champagne Apples & Boudon Noir $19.00

Of course, being foodies we coordinated to cover as much of the menu as possible (for research purposes!). Firstly, we ordered a few starters. The first one was the beautiful seared scallop dish. After much oohing and ahhing, followed by clicking, we devoured these fat and juicy seared scallops. The crisp pork belly was lovely and crispy pork belly was complimented perfectly with the champane apples and boudon noir.

Yamba Prawn Tart with Creamed Leek, Feta & Tomato Salsa $19.00

Another beautiful seafood dish! The yamba prawn tart looked so vibrant and colourful, we couldn't help but coo over it! There were four big and juicy prawns sitting in a tart shell with creamed leek, feta and tomato salsa.

Yamba Prawn Tart with Creamed Leek, Feta & Tomato Salsa $19.00

It was equally as delicious as it looked. The only problem was - trying to divide it between 5 girls was a little bit tricky!

Duck Liver Parfait with Cranberry Jelly, Onion Marmalade & Pickled Prune $11.00

The final starter we ordered was the duck liver parfait. Lisa had tried this before and she couldn't say enough good things about it. Unfortunately this one was rather disappointing.

Duck Liver Parfait with Cranberry Jelly, Onion Marmalade & Pickled Prune $11.00

The duck liver was slimy and runny. Even the jelly on top couldn't mask the horrible blood/metal taste. I tried to lather on the accompanying condiments of onion marmalade and prunes, but it really didn't help. Such a shame, but perhaps we just went on an off day.

Sandcrab & Fine Herbs Omelette
with Mixed Cress Salad, Avocado & Tomato Dressing $29.00


For my main, I ordered the sandcrab omelette which was so filling! I am a major egg fiend (have always been, always will be) and this was perfect. I'm glad I got to palm some of it off to the others though, because it was a really big serve - I wonder how many eggs they had to use?! Hehe. The omelette was delicious and there was a generous serve of crab meat throughout, it was filling yet not too heavy.

Pan-seared Ocean Trout Fillet
with Farmers Style Salad and Grilled Pork Toulouse Sasauge $29.00

Pan-seared Ocean Trout Fillet
with Farmers Style Salad and Grilled Pork Toulouse Sasauge $29.00

Leona ordered the ocean trout which came with a perfectly pouched egg sitting on top. The ocean trout was cooked just right. The skin was crispy and the flesh was soft and moist. The crouton pieces also added a lovely crunch to the accompanying salad.

Ripples Famous Fish & Chips
with Homemade Tartare Sauce & Lemon $24.00

Karen took one for the team and ordered Ripples famous fish and chips. It was a really huge serving and there was just so much goodness in that bowl. The batter on the fish was crispy and not too oily, but the best part was the tartare sauce. It was quite possibly the best tartare sauce I've had. Now I know that the fish & chips are definitely famous for a reason!

Char-grilled Beef Tenderloins,
Creamed Spinach with Horseradish Gnocchi & Beef Short Rib Ragout $29.00

Char-grilled Beef Tenderloins,
Creamed Spinach with Horseradish Gnocchi & Beef Short Rib Ragout $29.00

Lisa's dish of the char grilled beef tenderloins was beautiful. The beef tenderloins were cooked til lovely and tender, and the beef short rib ragout was absolute deliciousness - I remember Leona moaning over this one!

White Rabbit Fricasse with Lardons, Artichokes & Pappardelle Pasta $28.00


White Rabbit Fricasse with Lardons, Artichokes & Pappardelle Pasta $28.00

Steph's pasta dish was so bright and colourful. The pappardelle pasta was perfectly al-dente, it was so soft and creamy. I'm not sure if I could taste much of the rabbit though.

Dessert time!

Passionfruit Creme Brulee with Glass Biscuit & Passionfruit Syrup $12.00

So, we decided to get all of the desserts on the menu that day (minus the cheese platter). Just cause we can. The passionfruit creme brulee was sweet and silky and the passionfruit aromas were so intoxicating.

Burnt Lemon Tart, Lemon Curd Bombe Alaska & Macadamia Toffee $13.00

Burnt Lemon Tart, Lemon Curd Bombe Alaska & Macadamia Toffee $13.00

Burnt Lemon Tart, Lemon Curd Bombe Alaska & Macadamia Toffee $13.00

The burnt lemon tarte, lemon curd bombe alaska and macadamia toffee was seriously amazing! Ok, I'm not a huge lemon tart fan, so I normally don't choose anything too citrusy or lemony, but this was absolutely to-die-for! I could not get enough of the silky and smooth bombe alaska, it just melted in your mouth! And burnt lemon tart was also divine, with the crackly and sweet pastry. The macadamia toffee was also amazing, and definitely needs a mention. Leona & I kept going back to it - so much sweet, nutty goodness!

Strawberry Shortcake with Champagne,
White Chocolate Mousse & Strawberry Sorbet $12.00


Aww so cute! I couldn't get over how cute this strawberry shortcake was. The presentation was adorable. However the actual dessert wasn't a huge hit. The shortcake was really hard to break, and I wasn't sure of the champagne with the white chocolate mousse, it was a bit too strong especially getting towards the end.

White Chocolate Parfait with Bitter Chocolate & Orange Mousse, Blood Orange Jelly $14.00

Somehow, despite us saying that we wanted all of the desserts, they managed to miss one out :( After enquiring with the waiter, this beautiful looking plate came out. Unfortunately the white chocolate parfait was too hard and cold. They must've just taken it out of the freezer. The persian fairy floss on top was a nice touch though :)

White Chocolate Parfait with Bitter Chocolate & Orange Mousse, Blood Orange Jelly $14.00

Overall:
I really enjoyed our lunch at Ripples. Despite being politely shoved out at the end (apparently another party needed the table, didn't matter that half the restaurant was still empty - and no, I'm not bitter! haha). The food was delicious, however some of the items we had might not be on the menu anymore. Definitely get the fish & chips, and definitely save room for dessert!

Ripples at Sydney Wharf
56 Pirrama Rd,
Pyrmont NSW 2009
Tel: (02) 9571 1999
Open 7 Days for Lunch & Dinner (Breakfast available on weekends)
http://www.aquadining.com.au/aqua_ripples_cafe_restaurant.htm
Ripples Sydney Wharf on Urbanspoon
*****
Happy 1 year to my humble little blog.
Thank you to everyone that occassionally stumbles upon my blog, on purpose or accident - you are always welcome! And thank you for the lovely comments. And thank you to my little blog for introducing me to some crazy kids!
Oh, and thank you to my blog for expanding my waist!
Betty xx

21 comments:

  1. Happy 1st anniversary!!

    Well done B!

    You always makes me hungry reading your blogs :o)

    Hope you keep on going and eventually end up with your own book. That would be real cool

    xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Happy Bloggiversary Betty!!! This was so fun, I miss hanging out with you girls! LOL I forgot about how we got herded off our table, they picked it up while we were still eating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All looks so good. Shame about the pate.

    Happy anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy blogoversary Betty! Here's to many more awesome meals xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 1st bloggiversary! As for expanding waistline, pfftt, I tend to look on mine as mementoes of delicious experiences :) Besides, I don't know what you're talking about - you are trim and terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday!! Here is to many more blog birthdays for you, and loads more decadent lunches with lovely ladies! Good on you AB, you should celebrate :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to your blog, Betty! I think we should all focus on *Exercise* and *boot camp* posts from now on so that our figures return to their usual svelteness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy blog birthday!!

    Great review and photos - I loved this one! Those scallops have made me drool all over the keyboard and it's not my lunchtime yet :(

    I have seen another blog talk about that duck pate and said the same thing - awful and metallic - so either a new chef making it or a new recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. woohoo happy blogiversary dude! here's to another year of tasty eats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy blogiversary! The food there is pretty, I am espeically eyeing the desserts mmm and pity about the duck pate :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy blogiversary! I'm thinking of going to Ripples next week so I'm glad I've got your photos and opinion to make choosing what to eat easier :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday to your hungry blog! May you continue to feed it with wonderful foodalicious goodies =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So much goodness in these dishes, making me struggle through until morning tea time! I would love some of that trout, and those scallops - aye! I am sure I've read very very similar comments about that pate as well, even down to it being mindblowing previously and now is just awful, so I don't think you caught them on an off day, unfortunately.

    Wishing you a super happy blog birthday. I hope you are celebrating with cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy 1st Blogsoversary Betty! :D And I love how you tried the divide everything into 5 :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. That prawn looks massively succulent! But I think the desserts stole the show - I can't decide whether the creme brulee, the bombe alaska or the shortcake is the most beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow, everything looked so lovely! I can't pick which dish I like more. It's so great to go out with a group of foodies, they undestand the need to order various dishes to share and try : )
    Plus 5 people flashing away with their camera is better than 1!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay!!! Habbby Blogger Birthday! I can see how that prawn, I mean giant prawn tart could be a little difficult to divide!Did you offer to eat it all yourself? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy blog birthday Betty. I hope you have plenty more blog birthdays to come. Those scallops are huge and not to mention the runny egge on tip of the fish. I have had breakky yet so this is torture for me. Soooo hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy blog anniversary!! I went there (reasonably recently too). I didn't get dessert though - the look great - would love to have tried them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy 1 year blogversary! :) Hope you have many more to come!

    It was interesting to see the ocean trout because it looks different from the one we had there recently!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Anonymous: Thank you :) I don't think I want a book...

    Hi Steph: Thank you!! I know, omg so rude! Even though we were completely stuffed, they still shouldn't have shooed us out!

    Hi Sara: Yeah the pate was a big disappointment. Thank you!

    Hi Karen: Thank you! Yay xx

    Hi Helen: Thank you! Haha! That's a good way to look at things ;) Hehe oh you're too kind!

    Hi Lili: Thank you so much :) xx

    Hi Belle: Thank you! Lol... I really don't think that will ever happen, as much as we would like it to!

    Hi Eyes Bigger Than Belly: Thank you! Oh sorry for making you drool ;) Such a shame because Lisa remembered that as one of the highlights of her previous trip there.

    Hi Chocolatesuze: Thank you! Yay!

    Hi FFichiban: Thank you! Yes, very pretty, you'd love it!

    Hi Jacq: Thank you! Cool, hope you had a good time!

    Hi Mademoiselle Delicieuse: Thank you so much :)

    Hi Conor: Such a shame, because we had heard such amazing things about it :( At least I'll know for next time! Thank you so much :)

    Hi Lorraine: Thank you! Hehe, it's the only way to do it! Sharing is caring ;)

    Hi Trisha: No need to choose, have them all :) Hehe

    Hi Brenda: Yes, they definitely understand the need to try everything! Hehe definitely

    Hi Adrian: Thank you!! If I wasn't trying to be composed and lady like, I probably would have stolen the whole thing! It was so lovely too mmm..

    Hi A cupcake or two: Thank you! Yes, nothing better than piercing through a poached egg :)

    Hi Anita: Thank you! Oh, that's a shame. You'll have to go back for the lemon tart and bombe alaska - so good!!

    Hi April: Thank you! Yeah, this blog post is slightly delayed, so the menu may have changed since my visit :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails