Saturday, April 24, 2010

Anzac Biscuits



To celebrate Anzac Day, I decided to bake Anzac biscuits! These biscuits are an Australian tradition dating back to World War 1. They were made for Aussie troops serving during the war and these biscuits were special because they had to endure the long journey there. 


I knew that I could just buy a pack of perfectly shaped Anzac biscuits from the supermarket, but I was determined to make my own!  I found this recipe and I got all the ingredients and everything was looking a-ok! Until, I was trying to roll the Anzac biscuits into balls and they all crumbled on me!! OMG. I thought it was over. I was panicking! And then, I decided to quickly make some more of the butter mixture and then they were somewhat salvaged *phew*. 

in Fresh Living by Tracy Rutherford 

Makes 24 

Ingredients:
 
1 cup plain flour 
1 cup rolled oats 
1 cup desiccated coconut 
3/4 cup brown sugar 
125gr butter 
2 tbs golden syrup 
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Method: 

1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Sift the flour into a large bowl. Stir in the oats, coconut and brown sugar. 

2. Put the butter, golden syrup and 2tbs water in a saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until melted. Stir in the bicarbonate of soda.  


3. Pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture and stir until combined  


4. Roll mixture into balls. Place on the trays, about 5cm apart. 

5. Press with a fork to flatten slightly. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. 

6. Set aside on the trays for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.


Overall: 

I had to add about 50gr more butter, 1 tablespoon of golden syrup, 1/2 teaspoon of bicarb soda. I'm not sure why it went all crumbly at first? Maybe I heated the butter mixture for too long the first time. After I added my second mixture, I was able to roll them into balls, but they were still slightly crumbly. 

Despite the dramas!! They still taste good. They're not thin disks, like 'normal' ones, more like fat mini balls, but they're cute (right?). I like them because they're a little bit chewy and a little bit crumbly. And the whole house smells divine :) 

Have a safe long weekend everyone! 

19 comments:

  1. ah! This is the exact same recipe I used today. I also had the issue with them being dry until I saw that in the first step you are supposed to add two tablespoons of water (which it doesn't list in the ingredients list!) Anyway- I added some water and the mixture became sticky but ended up tasting really good and being quite moist :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ANZAC biscuits. They are so sweet and tasty. I don't think it matters that they are not disc like if they taste better than store bought. I bet their predecessors in WW1 were not uniform in size.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite all the drama, these still look really damn good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look lovely. If the mixture is a little dry they crumble when rolling, has happened to me before, just add moisture and bingo, perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Anzac biscuits are small and round, too - they're much cuter like that! And rather than rolling them, I usually squish them in my palm to make them stick together (but you do get buttery hands afterwards).

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look fantastic Betty! And it doesn't look like you had any trouble at all from them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've eaten way more than my fair share of these today, and I am about to eat another! Someone put the kettle on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many stories about how the Anzacs often chipped their teeth eating the original biscuits. Glad to say yours are slightly superior in texture and taste.

    Well, a fair bit more than slightly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to see you baking agian, Betty! Your Anzac biscuits look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum - i love Anzac biscuits! Just about as much as just smelling the delicious scent of baking int he kitchen. Hope you had a good long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These were tastttyyy mmm and I like them a bit fatter and chewier and cuter :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look perfect! You should definitely do more baking/cooking, you knew how to fix them, it's in your system : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello!! My name is SIMAUMA. I write blog about the food.Please look.And I am glad if I link to your blog. (URL)http://food-collection-simauma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. these look totally amazing! makes me miss oz even more... i think i need to follow your recipe and try to recreate them over here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes! Love the fact these are different to the norm. Regardless, I would still mash them up into chunks and mix with ice cream

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's happened to me before (not enough liquid). My mum is really good at making ANZAC biscuits, so I leave it to her :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anzac biscuits are one of my favourite biscuits to make. Didn't manage to make any this year for Anzac day, but I don't suppose it matters too much which part of the year you make them. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never tried these before and I'm always meaning too

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Gastronomy Gal: I had to add heaps more water to get them moist and chewy (for the 2nd and 3rd batch!)

    Hi Mark: Me too! Thanks, I think so too - much better than store bought!

    Hi Rose: Thank you :)

    Hi Sara: Haha thanks for the tip. I made them again and added more water, and they were great :)

    Hi OohLookBel: True! Oh, I might do that next time, thanks!

    Hi Lorraine: Thanks so much :)

    Hi Conor: Awesome. You've got to pay your respects somehow! :D

    Hi Ninja: Aww thank you :)

    Hi Ellie: Thanks Ellie!

    Hi Forager: Oh, yes! It smells so lovely when it's in the oven :) Thank you, hope you did too!

    Hi FFichiban: Thanks Richard!

    Hi Brenda: Aww thank you! Hehe... hmm maybe ;)

    Hi Simauma: Thanks for stopping by!

    Hi Bea: Aww thanks love! Yes, I think you should do it!

    Hi Adrian: Thank you! Oh that would be super delicious!

    Hi Anita: Haha good one!

    Hi Y: Yeah, I didn't really how easy they were! True!

    Hi WhizzyTheStick: If I can do it, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails