Monday, April 05, 2010

Azuma Kushiyaki @ Regent Place, Sydney

How was it?
Food: 8/10
Service: 7/10
Ambience: 7/10
Value: $$$


I had heard so many good things about Azuma Kushiyaki at Regent Place, so I was excited to try it out with Little J. We had already looked at the menu online and decided that we had to try the Kushiyaki 6 course degustation. Not only did it seem totally value-for-money at $55 per person, but also there seemed to be a nice variety of items on the menu.

Famous Seared Tuna Salad

Famous Seared Tuna Salad

Once we ordered, the food started to roll out at a pretty steady speed. The first course was the famous seared tuna salad. Famous because it was featured on SBS' Food Safari! The tuna was beautiful, soft and almost melt-in-the mouth and the sweet salad dressing was lovely with the tuna and asian greens.

Edamame

I love edamame! Warm, salty green soy beans were a perfect nibble whilst waiting for our next courses.

Assorted Sushi
Seared Salmon, Seared Kingfish & Soft Shell Crab Inside-Out Roll

Seared Salmon & Seared Kingfish Nigiri

I love salmon and even more when it is seared. There's just something about that hint of smokiness that makes it just that much more amazing! The seared salmon and seared kingfish sushi here were definitely a delight.

Soft-Shell Crab Inside-Out Roll

Yes, I am also a sucker for soft shell crab rolls. If I order sushi rolls, soft-shell crab is very likely to be the one that I pick, so I was happy that this came on the platter. The meaty soft shell crab and the gooey mayo and bursts of salmon roe were little morsels of goodness.

Deep Fried Karaage Chicken

Little J loves her karage chicken and this definitely lived up to her expectations. The chicken was meaty, yet it wasn't as oily as I expected it to be. Dipped in the dollop of mayo, these were delicious.

Various Salts

Various salts to be used with kushiyaki. I can't remember exactly what they were, but I think from left to right: Curry, Sea Salt, Green Tea Salt.

Assorted Kushiyaki
Mackarel, Scallop, Okra, Chicken Breast, Chicken Thigh, Beef

The assorted kushiyaki were all amazing. Given that this is the restaurant's namesake, you'd assume their kushiyaki are pretty good!

Chicken Thigh, Beef Kushiyaki

The beef kushiyaki had us both moaning! It was so soft and tender, we both took a bite and then decided to save it til last! The chicken thigh was also delicious, being juicy and tender.

Okra, Chicken Breast

The chicken breast kushiyaki was also soft and tender, however didn't have the same wow factor as the chicken thigh, perhaps it is all in the marinade! I really enjoyed the woody texture of the okra, however Little J did not like it at all! I guess it is an acquired taste. I also enjoyed the fact that there was some form of vegetable to balance out all the meatiness.

Macakarel, Scallop, Okra

The scallops were also enjoyed as they were plump and soft and just very very lightly seared. The mackarel fish was rather salty and it reminded me of tinned fish! But definitely not bad, although the kind of fish you'd expect to eat with a bowl of congee, rather than alone on a skewer.

Green Tea Sponge Roll

Mango Sorbet

After a much needed break, it was time for dessert! I couldn't help admiring the beauty of the two items on my plate - the green tea sponge roll (it looked like a sushi roll!) and the biscuit placed on top of the mango sorbet. The green tea sponge roll was light and fluffy, and the mango sorbet was both sweet and sour and the thin wafer like biscuit on top added a sweet crunch.

From the bakery: Affogato dessert

We saw another table order the affogato, so we decided that we had to have it. They had to order it from their bakery next door and we waited in anticipation! The coffee was so super strong and a little bit too bitter, so I would have preferred it to be served with vanilla ice cream rather than coffee. Although dipping in the wafers and fruit were fun, I probably wouldn't order this particular dessert again.

Thanks Little J!



Overall:
I was very happy with my experience at Azuma Kushiyaki. The food was great and beautifully presented. I definitely think the degustation is worth it, and I'd definitely like to go again.

Azuma Kushiyaki
Ground Floor Regent Place Shopping,
501 George St,
Sydney NSW 2000
Tel: (02) 9267 7775
Open 7 Days (Lunch only available Mon - Fri)
www.azuma.com.au/
Azuma Kushiyaki on Urbanspoon

18 comments:

  1. very interesting seeing okra on a skewer. i've never seen that before. their Famous Seared Tuna Salad does look very tasty. i'd like to try that one and i'm a sucker for soft shell crab. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I've been meaning to go here for ages but still haven't! I looove seared tuna, that salad looks great. Same with edamame, though these days i buy it frozen and it tons of it at home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh Azuma Kushiyaki... I loooovee this place but haven't gone back in too long :( I usually mass order skewers heh we need more kushiyaki places in Syd!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I saw that episode of Food Safari and had wanted to try out the salad too! Nice to know that I don't have to go to Azuma's main store in order to get it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, there's something special about seared salmon. I'm considering purchasing a blowtorch for my own kitchen so I can replicate at home (and perhaps make a crunchy brulee topping!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the trio of salts. The affogato looks like fun even if it did seem a little bitter. I splurged on a monster blowtorch when I was in Japan so the seared tuna salad looks like a great excuse to play with fire! It's so much fun. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous meal! It was full of "hits" it seems which is great. I really like that dessert is a highlight there too. Mmm that patisserie next door is full of deliciousness! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice and exaustive report, Thank you for sharing your food experiences. Dario

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a bit of a karage chicken fan, the salts looked very interesting. Okra would have been interesting to try as well, I have never had it served that way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The food looks great! It's cool how they have different flavoured salts that go with the kushiyaki, and I love the amount of mayo on that soft shell crab roll - must've tasted awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's been way too long between soft shell crabs for me, man it looks good. Whole meal looks good actually. The little biscuit on the mango sorbet looks like a funny little owl :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh gawd ive had the biggest craving for karage chicken all week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They really put a lot of care into their food here. Craving chicken karaage but also want to go back for their crispy chicken skin!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been past here a couple of times and read about it on other blogs but never get round to trying it. The food looks realy good, but I don't think I could squeeze in a meal during lunch? : (

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm last time I was here, I was totally impressed by everything we ordered from the menu. I'm glad you enjoyed it too. The degustation at $55 is a steal though, next time I'm going for that. Hmm I recalled their desserts weren't that great, however the green tea sponge cake looks so good. I might have to go back to try the desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I missed out on dessert the last time I was there. Loved the flavoured salts that accompanied the food skewers though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Simon: I was really intrigued by the okra too! The seared tuna salad was delicious!

    Hi Steph: I should really buy it frozen, cause I could eat tonnes at a time!

    Hi FFichiban: I agree, it is awesome!

    Hi Simon: Yep, I think it was a good idea to put it on the kushiyaki menu as well.

    Hi JT: OOh, a blowtorch sounds fun! Hehe.. Think of all the brulees.. yum!

    Hi Helen: Yeah, the salts were really funky! I can imagine it being way too much fun!

    Hi Lorraine: Definitely full of hits :) Yes, although it was quite sad because we were way too full to try all the yumminess!

    Hi Dario: Thank you!

    Hi Sara: I never used to be a karage chicken fan, but I think I'm slowly liking it more!

    Hi Jacq: Yep, the salts were way cool! Ooh, love Japanese mayo - that stuff could make anything taste 100 times better!

    Hi Conor: Haha... I didn't see the owl... but now I do! Hilarious!

    Hi chocolatesuze: Hehe... this one was pretty damn good.

    Hi Elaine: It looked really good, but it was just a tad bitter for my liking... maybe a real coffee connoisseur would appreciate it more :)

    Hi Mademoiselle Delicieuse: Definitely! Oh, crispy chicken skin? Sounds evil! I'll have to remember it for next time ;)

    Hi Brenda: You could definitely get a few things for lunch, but there wouldn't be enough time for the degustation.

    Hi Linda: The degustation was totally worth it! The desserts were good, although I think the main courses were better!

    Hi Y: Oh no! That's a shame! Oh yeah, the salts were so cool.. we were a little bit too intrigued by them!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails