Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Strangers with Candy, Redfern

How was it?
Food: 7/10
Service: 6.5/10
Ambience: 6.5/10
Value: $$

Banana Smoothie $6.00

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - nothing beats a great hearty meal in the morning. And it's even better when it's shared with some lovely people. On this particular occassion, Miss LV, Miss Toronto and I caught up after returning from our respective Summer holidays. We decided to head to Strangers with Candy, because I had heard little snippets about it here and there and I really loved the name!

Soda Lime & Bitters $5.00

The cafe sits by itself on the corner of an unassuming street. There is a small indoor seating area, and another outdoor section, where we were seated on this day. Miss Toronto and I ordered some drinks to fight off the heat. The banana smoothie was lovely and thick and the soda lime & bitters was refreshing, although unexciting.

Scrambled eggs $9.50
with Smoked Salmon ($3.50) and Avocado ($3.50)

Scrambled eggs $9.50
with Rosemary Mushrooms ($3.50) and Proscuitto ($3.50)

Miss LV and I both ordered the scrambled eggs ($9.50), with a choice of sides. The scrambled eggs were deliciously soft and fluffy, although not as light or creamy as the ones at Bill's. I liked the toasted turkish bread, which was crispy and soft and they were generous with the side portions. Although at $3.50 each, you'd expect them to be quite generous! I really enjoyed the fragrant rosemary mushrooms, although I thought that they could have given me just a little bit more proscuitto ;)

Mussels

Miss Toronto ordered the mussels (which were on the specials lunch menu - from memory). They were cooked in a thai red curry sauce, which had wonderful flavours of basil, lime and corriander.

Chocolate Brownie Cheesecake $4.50

After sitting and chatting for a while, the waitress came and asked if we'd like to have a look at the desserts in the display cabinet. Umm... yes! There was pretty much no question that we were going to leave without having dessert! We chose the chocolate brownie cheesecake which looked crazyily good! It also came with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, which was lovely on this hot day. I thought the combination of cheesecake and brownie was delicious although it was quite heavy and we had to really perservere to finish it off!

Menu


Overall:
Strangers with Candy is a lovely little cafe with good food, helpful wait staff and it is perfect for a lazy weekend meal. We sat their for ages and didn't feel rushed to leave at all. One strange thing was the bathroom, which was lit up in dark red with toy dolls placed around.. quite bizarre! Nevertheless, I'd definitely love to go again especially to try their dinner menu.

Strangers with Candy
96 Kepos St
Redfern NSW 2016
Tel: (02) 9698 6000
Open for Dinner (Wednesday - Sunday) 6pm - 9.30pm
Open for Breakfast & Lunch (Saturday - Sunday) 9.30am - 3.30pm
www.strangerswithcandy.com.au
Strangers With Candy on Urbanspoon

20 comments:

  1. Yumm chocolate brownie cheese for breakfast/brunch? AWESOME! Haha that bathroom does sound a little creepy though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHOA cheesecake. Hmm... I'm getting wicked baking ideas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had my eye on this place for a little while, thanks for the review. The bathroom sounds funky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like good value! Should try next time I'm around there... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. heh heh i love the name of this place! and the brownie looks to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocolate brownie cheesecake. This looks delightfully unhealthy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cheesecakes look amazing, and very filling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stingy on prosciutto? What a travesty! I've been meaning to go here for ages! Who could resist such a cool cafe name?

    And yes, I'm back & I more than understand your blog moving pain. All I can say is that I really over estimated my ability to code.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've always wondered what this place was like. have driven past so many times but it's never been a place i've stopped at to try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That bread does look quite tasty, and is that relish with the eggs? The brownie cheesecake is quite distracting so it's a little hard to tell :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahah what a cool name! and that brownie cheesecake does look very sinfully tasty

    ReplyDelete
  12. GREAT review Betty! I've always wanted to go here (the name attracted me) and good idea going there for breakfast as at night time it's very dark in there :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. the musselslook divine!! And the sode lime and bitters is a cool invention !

    ReplyDelete
  14. That bathroom sounds quite strange, too. A 'bonus' feature?

    And I totally approve choc brownie for breaky!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've tried going here twice, from memory, but they've been closed each time! Nice to finally get to see what some of their food looks like =p

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a lovely place to have brunch. That dessert looks fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Betty! Couldn't agree with you more... I love a great breakfast and if you top it off with a chocolate brownie - well, Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whhaaa, hi Betty, my names Veronica and I am the owner/chef at Strangers.....Thanks for the great review, sorry we were stingy with the prosciutto, sometimes we get so rushed bad things accidentally happen. The dolls are actually toilet roll dolls, their skirts conceal dunny rolls, which I have always found truly bizarre and fascinating, every house hold had a dolly in the bathroom back in the 60s and 70s.....its just a retro thang. cheers Ronni

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been wanting to visit this place! The menu looks quite decent :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Steph: Totally awesome! :D Yeah, it was a little bit odd!

    Hi Tina: Hehe. Cool!

    Hi Sara: You're welcome :)

    Hi Maria: You're welcome :)

    Hi Chocolatesuze: Me too! It was awesome!

    Hi Mark: Hehe yes, delightfully unhealthy indeed!

    Hi Missklicious: It was! Luckily I was sharing with two others!

    Hi Forager: I know! Such a funky name! Glad to have you back, I totally understand what you were going through now :)

    Hi Simon: It's definitely worth a look in.

    Hi Conor: Yes, it was! Haha.. yeah I kind of can't remember either!

    Hi FFichiban: I know! It was so sinful and so tasty! :D

    Hi Lorraine: Thank you :) Hehe... yes, I thought so too!

    Hi Gastronomy Gal: Yep, my friend devoured them with no complaints :)

    Hi Anh: Who knows?! Hehe and besides, it was the weekend so it's totally fine to indulge a little ;)

    Hi Brenda: Yes, the dessert was delicious!

    Hi Trissa: Hehe totally!

    Hi Veronica: Thanks for stopping by! Haha.. it's ok, I probably wouldn't have finished it all anyway! Oh, that is really quirky, I had no idea! :)

    Hi Y: Yep, you should definitely give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails