Monday, April 12, 2010

Umi Kaiten Zushi, Haymarket

How was it?
Food: 7/10
Service: 6/10
Ambience: 6.5/10
Value: $$


Yes, I am pretty obsessed with Japanese cuisine. I love it to the point where I wish I was Japanese and born in Japan, so that I could be surrounded by super cute things and eat Japanese food all-the-time. Yes, it's true. *sigh* Umi Kaiten Zushi (also affiliated with Mizuya), is 'the one with the big fish tank'. I can never remember it's name, but can always remember the fish tank!

What drew us in on this particular night was a sign board out the front promoting their summer special where all sushi's everyday (between 2.30pm-5.30pm), and Monday & Tuesday nights were $3.50. Luckily for us, it was a Tuesday night so we strolled in. I know that it is no longer Summer, however the board is still out the front and it is still being promoted on their website, although I'm not sure for how much longer!

Salmon Roll

We always go for the salmon sushi roll, so I eagerly picked this up off the train. The salmon, avocado and cream cheese roll was just the perfect combination to start off.

Seaweed Roll

I also always love getting the seaweed roll. There's something about the salty seaweed and crunchy sesame seeds that just gets me every time.

Grilled Scallop

The grilled scallops were juicy and plump, although nothing too exciting. But for $3.50, why not? right?!

Salmon Sashimi & Tuna Sashimi

The sashimi platters were $1 extra, but at $4.50, it's still a bargain. We were impressed with the fresh tasting sashimi. I love sashimi that is fresh, soft and can melt in your mouth. This one ticked all the boxes.

Salmon Sashimi & Kingfish Sashimi

Some more sashimi? Why not. We picked up the salmon & kingfish sashimi. Only recently have I started to appreciate and enjoy kingfish sashimi. Again, the pieces were fresh and soft. No Masuya, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Dragon Roll

The dragon roll passed me on the train so many times, I was so tempted to have it, but then I wasn't sure if I was should or not (argh, so many tough decisions). Until finally I just gave in and swooped it off the train. Just your typical dragon roll with eel, avocado, cream cheese etc, but it was satisfying and delicious.

Fried Salmon Skin

We saw another couple order the fried salmon skin, but I couldn't see it on the train anymore, so I ordered it from the waitress. The first time I tried fried salmon skin was actually in Cambodia (on my trip in February)! I thought it was pretty genius, so I wanted to try it again. We both enjoyed the crispy fried skin, it was something a little bit different, not really tasting of much, kind of like chips - but with salmon skin! We both got a bit sick of it after a little while though (very oily), but I finished it off anyway :)

We also ordered some items from the menu, that were not part of the promotion.

Miso Eggplant

The first time I ever tried miso eggplant was at this very same restaurant a few years ago. I was so in love with it, and I raved about it to anyone that would listen! It didn't dissapoint, and was just as I remembered. Grilled eggplant that was soft and tender, lathered in sweet miso paste and bonito flakes, I couldn't get enough of it!

(Special) Seared Salmon Nigiri topped with Tempura & Chilli Flakes $8.80

The seared salmon nigiri were so pretty! I love the lightly seared salmon and the tempura and chilli flakes gave it a nice little kick & punch.

Overall:
A surprisingly satisfying meal at Umi Kaiten Zushi. I think that it's great for city workers who are looking for a quick mid-afternoon sushi hit. It's not the best Japanese you can find in town, but it's definitely satisfying. Also, you can stare at the pretty fish whilst your eating their relatives (haha). I'll be back (only on Monday & Tuesday nights!) haha.

Umi Kaiten Zushi
Shop 1, Lower Ground Fl,
477 Pitt St, (Cnr Hay & Parker St)
Sydney NSW 2000
Tel: (02) 9281 2006
Open 7 Days
http://www.umikaitenzushi.com.au/
Umi Kaiten-Zushi on Urbanspoon

18 comments:

  1. Oooh we walked past this place once and ever since then I've been wanting to go! Always on a look out for new Japanese... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been here for ages! I loved it when it first opening, but then it seemed to go downhill. Looks like it's improved again though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss my Japanese sushi rolls (being pregnant I have to be very selective with my food intake). Your photos are not helping LOL! But love them none the less : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I love how generous the filling is! Thanks for the review Betty, will keep this in mind when I'm next in the area :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. $3.50?? that is such a bargain of a meal! Oh yeah I love japanese food too, to the extent that when we go out with a group of people, if the majority of the group doesn't want Japanese, i would eat Japnese food on my own and meet up with everyone after.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always walk past this place and see the fishtank, then think to myself that I have to visit here soon but I never do! But maybe I will on a Monday or Tuesday night in the near future hehe. Love the seared salmon nigiri - it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. $3.50 sushi, I'm there. I would totally make a pig of myself at such an event. I really like the look of the Salmon Nigiri. I have never seen Miso eggplant, I'll have to try it when I see it on a menu.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy crap... $3.50 for the scallops? I'm all over this place like a rash

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heyyy I walk past this place all the time and wonder what it's like! I loooove grilled scallops, so that is enough to convince me to go there now if they're $3.50!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You made some very good choices with your selections, I will happily go on a sushi gorging mission with you given the chance :D

    What a bargain, too! You'd be foolish not to overindulge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much gluttony. Sounds like high entertainment.

    I particularly approve of how you centered in on what are usually the most expensive premium dishes at any sushi train. You have learnt well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Betty

    I'm like you when it comes to eggplant with miso. I think it's one of nature's gifts to mankind. I tried it at azuma's once in Chifley and he made a very grown up version with different types of miso. Breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oo I have never had miso eggplant but would love to try! $3.50 for those scallops is an ABSOLUTE BARGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember my first taste of miso-grilled eggplant too but can no longer recall where...However it is a wonderful contrast of salty-sweet and soft-textured flesh - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like that was quite good value, all things considered. Though, I'm not at all surprised that the times specified are when the sushi train special is on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh betty!! i remember when i tried my first seaweed salad at uni with you and elinore! i love your blog! it's on my favourites. keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Miso eggplant.........Hmmm..........thats something different!! On eatability i think they got some specials for this place,but im not 100% sure, but i heard many mixed reviews about it, but like yourself i like it!!

    Sydneyguyrojoe

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Maria: Yep, it's not bad for a sushi fix :)

    Hi Missklicious: Omg, I'm exactly the same as you. Loved it at first, then got over it. But it seems to be better these days!

    Hi Brenda: Oh, sorry!! You can have all the sushi you want, now that the baby is out ;)

    Hi Lorraine: Me too! You're welcome :)

    Hi Linda: I know! We saw the sign and knew immediately that we were going in! LOL that's a Japanese-food-addiction right there!

    Hi Jacq: It's definitely worth it on a Mon/Tues night! Oh the seared salmon nigiri was amazing!

    Hi Mark: Haha! Oh, miso eggplant is all kinds of amazing. You have to try it soon!

    Hi Rose: Yes yes! Lol.

    Hi Steph: Me too! Totally worth it for $3.50!

    Hi Conor: Hehe awesome! I would love that! I agree.

    Hi Ninja: High entertainment indeed! Of course. Gotta get my moneys worth! lol

    Hi Fouad: Oh wow... The Azuma version would've been amazing. I'd love to try it one day!

    Hi Gastronomy Gal: Oh, you must. It's so delicious!

    Hi Mademoiselle Delicieuse: Oh I love miso eggplant! I remember raving about it to everyone after my first try!!

    Hi Simon: Yep, definitely. No, me neither!

    Hi Phillip: Oh thank you so much :) You totally made my day! I miss those long lunches on the library lawn!

    Hi Sydneyguyrojoe: Cool! Yep, miso eggplant is amazing. You should try it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails